454 to Diesel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say the answer to both of those questions is money. In the army's case, saving as much as possible. As for Banks, making as much as possible.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The humvee uses a 6500 optimizer engine. It is much more durable than the regular 6.5. Yes the 6.5 external issues can be upgraded as something breaks or preventative but a long block that was never designed for boost and penny pinching GM doesn't make a good combination.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
In the army's case, saving as much as possible. As for Banks, making as much as possible.

No arguing there

The humvee uses a 6500 optimizer engine. It is much more durable than the regular 6.5. Yes the 6.5 external issues can be upgraded as something breaks or preventative but a long block that was never designed for boost and penny pinching GM doesn't make a good combination.

If I had the money right now, a P400 block and Banks new turbo kit is what I would buy. I must just be enamored with the Detroit 6.5... or it's brain damage

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well after discussing with a buddy. Putting some serious consideration into swapping the 454 with a John Deere 404. Now I've never seen this done and I'm sure it'll be an interesting build. But how many people can say they have a truck powered by a John Deere diesel?

Sent from my 454

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
International Harvester or get bent. Or something something is what a farmer would say.

A Deere 404 eh? Info on this swap?

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my thoughts are that might be able to rebuild it and use a better transmission for a truck application. But I have a feeling I'll need more than 6 gears or a split axle like an old c60 had. This is going to be a lot of engineering work.

Sent from my 454