454 to Diesel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
****, you weren't suppose to take that seriously. Okay....

So both are commercial diesel engines, much bigger and heavier than light duty diesels. Swaps have been done before, like cat v8's into powerstrokes, the cat inline 6 swaps into chevys are a bit more commonplace as the 3116 was offered in 3500hd chevys for a long time. The swaps are far more labour intensive and more money in some cases. The 3126 can be found in a 330hp version with over 800 ft/lbs of torque in factory trim. But again, these are way more work.

One other swap that hasn't been brought up yet is the 4bt cummins

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So...454 to diesel swap......

How about a 453t or a Cat3126?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Speaking of 4BT, when I worked at my little brother's shop we had a customer with a 4BT in his '57 Chevy pickup. Clean install, too.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

So both are commercial diesel engines, much bigger and heavier than light duty diesels. Swaps have been done before, like cat v8's into powerstrokes, the cat inline 6 swaps into chevys are a bit more commonplace as the 3116 was offered in 3500hd chevys for a long time. The swaps are far more labour intensive and more money in some cases. The 3126 can be found in a 330hp version with over 800 ft/lbs of torque in factory trim. But again, these are way more work.

You wouldn't find the Cat in the 3500HD. HD's only got the 6.5TD, 7.4 TBI then later Vortec, 8.1 gas in 2001-2002, and a very, very few early trucks came with the 5.7 TBI. You had to get a Topkick/Kodiak (medium duty truck, the GMT400 cab with the fiberglass flip nose) to get the Cat.

Richard

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

4bt is what will happen to my 1500 when the time comes, which will probably be a long time. My TBI only has 115k on it and is meticulously maintained.

dave_erald

Reaction score
I hesitated to even mention the 4bt only because from what I have read, I am not entirely convinced that of the three common swaps that the 4bt is the better one.

It may be better than what I have read, but I don't have first hand experience with it so I can't say much more than that

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A buddy of mine swapped a 3.9 into his 76 Ford and has really liked it and had good luck with it. But that vehicle was all mechanical to start

Sent from my 454

dave_erald

Reaction score
Yeah see, that's the argument I was going to make (that ford excluded) but if you have to go thru all the work to swap tank, lines, filters, pumps, hoses, wiring, and mounts, why didn't you just throw a 6bt in?

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wasn't my call for his truck and mine is put on hold for a bit after the lay off

Sent from my 454