454 ss grille on a 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johny

Reaction score
Do you already have the 454SS grille? If not, there was a "Sport" grille for the '94+ trucks that was painted black from the factory just like the original 454SS grilles. If you get one of those you'll have a really similar look and not have to change anything. It'll accept the lights (including the corner markers) that a '94+ already has. GM part number is 15981092, they're discontinued but a few companies are offering reproductions.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you want to make an original '90-'93 454SS grille fit a '94+ truck and look correct you're going to need all three '88-'93 lower filler pieces below the grille, front bumper brackets from an '88-'93, and a set of '88-'93 corner marker lights. Maybe some other things I'm forgetting...
I got another question, so i did end up buying the grille you listed with the part number. As for the bow tie I do want the black and red one like the 454 but I don’t think it’ll fit on that grille

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got another question, so i did end up buying the grille you listed with the part number. As for the bow tie I do want the black and red one like the 454 but I don’t think it’ll fit on that grille

It won't. There is a red/black "Sport" bowtie for the '94+ grilles as well though, it's part number 12543000. I have one on my red '97.

heskahoka

Reaction score
There is a red/black "Sport" bowtie for the '94+ grilles as well though, it's part number 12543000. I have one on my red '97

I had the same idea as you on my 97 to go for the 'SS" look.

-The same black grill
-Sport bowtie with red and black
- Foglamps and foglamp valence.

Hope yours turns out the way you want it.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It won't. There is a red/black "Sport" bowtie for the '94+ grilles as well though, it's part number 12543000. I have one on my red '97.

Hey you could use that picture in the "picture of your 400 with a classic vehicle" since the Monte is in it.... I can see in the daylight, it's definitely steel gray.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you already have the 454SS grille? If not, there was a "Sport" grille for the '94+ trucks that was painted black from the factory just like the original 454SS grilles. If you get one of those you'll have a really similar look and not have to change anything. It'll accept the lights (including the corner markers) that a '94+ already has. GM part number is 15981092, they're discontinued but a few companies are offering reproductions.

If you want to make an original '90-'93 454SS grille fit a '94+ truck and look correct you're going to need all three '88-'93 lower filler pieces below the grille, front bumper brackets from an '88-'93, and a set of '88-'93 corner marker lights. Maybe some other things I'm forgetting...
Why not just paint his grille instead of getting a new one and get the emblem that you gave the part number to?

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, and if you want to do the Denali/Escalade grille, you need the whole front clip....
One of our local yards just recently put out a 400 Yukon. It's a Denali, but has the regular clip on it, and they put the fender cladding back on it so it just doesn't look right. Unfortunately it's not at the closest LKQ to me or I'd have gone to see what could be harvested. I wanted to get back to that black Esky to get some more parts off it, but no bux.....
I was thinking about going with Escalade front end on my '89 Silverado but don't really want to replace the whole front clip, especially since I had to redo the whole interior. And the bux $$$ is the other thing that's holding me back, not to mention finding a complete ftont clip at u-pull-it that's not beat to crap has been virtually impossible, so far. What I may do is a concept - how GM might have made an Escalade pickup look in the late '80's - early '90's. What I am considering is getting the mid to later '90's Sierra grille, cutting out the plastic behind the emblem and patching in the grille with pieces from another grille then attaching a round piece of ABS and then attaching a Cadillac emblem. If I get really ambitious, I may attach a piece of plexiglass instead of the ABS and putting an LED in it so that the emblem has a backlit glow. But then again, I'm starting to think about just sticking with a Chevy grille though. I put a Lumina Z34 steering wheel in and I'm not too thrilled about the idea of trying to make that look like a Cadillac steering wheel.