4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn parts came in today, and it's about F!#$ING time! So, does everyone want the good news or the bad news?

The good news is that I have everything back together and I don't see any leaks this time. That's a win.

The bad news is that this damn thing still won't start. Part of the issue is definitely the battery. I got about 5 seconds of good cranking power and that was it.

During those 5 seconds, it sounded like it wanted to fire... but I thought for sure I heard what sounds like the timing 180° off.

It's entirely possible, since when I was setting the valve lash, I was just looking for top dead center and not necessarily concerned about the compression nor exhaust stroke.

I'll get that battery charged in the morning. After that, what's a good way to determine if the timing is out?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was setting the valve lash, I was just looking for top dead center and not necessarily concerned about the compression nor exhaust stroke.
1. You're not setting valve lash. You're setting lifter preload.

2. If you weren't "concerned" about compression vs. exhaust, you need to do it again. Compression vs. exhaust absolutely matters for the way most folks set lifter preload.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. You're not setting valve lash. You're setting lifter preload.

2. If you weren't "concerned" about compression vs. exhaust, you need to do it again. Compression vs. exhaust absolutely matters for the way most folks set lifter preload.

Could you explain that in more detail, please?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last update before I junk this whole thing.

I did a compression test. Definitely has compression. So I threw a timing light on cylinder 1 and I've definitely got spark. Then I took a video, pointing my phone down the TBI, while cranking. Definitely has fuel.

So I pulled the drivers side valve cover and spun the engine by hand until I saw the cylinder 1 intake valve open and close. Then I watched for the timing mark on the harmonic balancer to come around and hit 0°.

That's the best way I have to figure TDC at the compression stroke. Kind of hard to turn the key and put my thumb over the spark plug hole at the same time lol.

Then, I was trying to put things back together and got called away suddenly.

It's too damn late at night now to go back out in the garage. I probably won't get back at this until the weekend.

If this POS still won't start, I'm at complete loss to understand what the problem is.........

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Success!!! The distributor was 180° out. Got home from work and just had to know if it would start.

The timing is still not quite right, as it won't idle worth a damn and stepping on the gas will stall it right out, but at least I (with A LOT of help, thank you GMT400) can start the engine now :).

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, here's the latest.

I tweaked the timing a bit, double checked all the vacuum lines, and backed off the lifter preload by 1/4 turn, as it was set at 3/4 turn - that's too much.

So I fired it up once again and the idle was better, but still very shaky. So I thought F it... long as it's running, I'll get the break-in out of the way. So, I brought the RPM's up via the accelerator pedal and went to go put a timer on my phone.
WELL... I heard a few pops, clearly a misfire, and the RPM's dropped until the engine stalled.

FIRST thing running through my mind: Did I seize the engine? Remember, my oil pressure gauge is pegged, no matter what. So I went out and spun it by hand no problem and breathed a sigh of relieve. I either have to fix that gauge or install an aftermarket (my preferred option) gauge.

So, it'll start right back up but it's got a Hell of a miss. I guess now is a good time to check the firing order.

OH... and BTW, even though this junk is a factory 5-speed, there's no tachometer on the gauge cluster. I find that odd.

I'm also taking bets on whether or not my brand new chinesium distributor is bad.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH... and BTW, even though this junk is a factory 5-speed, there's no tachometer on the gauge cluster. I find that odd.
Tachs weren’t an option until 90 (91?) when the gauges changed. My 92 WT doesn’t have a tach either. Easy to add one.