4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Umbrella seals don't stay put on the valve guide. They ride up and down with the valve and just kinda "umbrella" over the guide so oil doesn't go down in it. For actual sealing they're kinda weak, but for clearance for more lift they're great.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get a second set of the blue seals, and slap 'em in?

Did you use the lil' plastic condoms on the valve stems when you pushed the seals in place? REALLY easy to rip the seal lips off the seal body if the condoms aren't in place.

Didn't need a second set. The blue seals popped right off. When installed on the CORRECT valve guides, I needed a socket and a ball peen hammer to install them. Before that, I was able to press them on with my thumb. Told you all something didn't seem right.

Yes I did use the "lil plastic condoms" lol. If you refer to the video link I posted earlier, that's where I learned to use those plastic sleeves.

Umbrella seals don't stay put on the valve guide. They ride up and down with the valve and just kinda "umbrella" over the guide so oil doesn't go down in it. For actual sealing they're kinda weak, but for clearance for more lift they're great.
Oh really? I'll go back and try again today. I'd rather the valve stems held in by seals and not masking tape.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking more like having two sets--one for intake, one for exhaust.
Oh, I see. Well, that could work, but it's getting increasingly difficult to get parts in a timely manner. It took nearly a week for those seals to come in. Had to order them from Rock Auto. Normally, I'd go to the local Advance Auto. Their inventory is slim. Lately everytime I go in there, whatever I need has to be ordered. If I'm going to order something and have to wait for it, it's coming from Rock Auto.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Valves are held in place by keepers.
Seals are for oil control.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yes, I understand that. Let me clarify that statement. The umbrella seals I have don't slide over the valve stems very easily. They can be used to keep the valves in their respective guides temporarily, until the springs come in and I can assemble the valve train correctly.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Springs came in the other day. That was too easy. Pics or it didn't happen, lol

BTW, modern day valve spring compressors are JUNK. I borrowed this one from my F-I-L and it performed flawlessly. I'm guessing this tool has to be from the 60's or 70's when he was in his racing hey-day.

Otherwise, I'm still debating what to do about that crankshaft. Is .001" out of tolerance really going to make a difference on a rod journal?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Springs came in the other day. That was too easy. Pics or it didn't happen, lol

Otherwise, I'm still debating what to do about that crankshaft. Is .001" out of tolerance really going to make a difference on a rod journal?
A thousandth outside tolerance on something spinning at 5k rpm? Maybe not, but how mad are you gonna be when it does, and you gotta tear it apart again?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A thousandth outside tolerance on something spinning at 5k rpm? Maybe not, but how mad are you gonna be when it does, and you gotta tear it apart again?

Good point. See, it seems I'm hearing 10 different things from 10 different machinists. Some aren't equipped to grind the crank down. Some say it's easier to just buy a new crank. Have yet to talk to a shop that can actually do the work.

Seeing as how Thanks-for-nothing-giving is fast approaching, time and $ are a premium right now. Sigh.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point. See, it seems I'm hearing 10 different things from 10 different machinists. Some aren't equipped to grind the crank down. Some say it's easier to just buy a new crank. Have yet to talk to a shop that can actually do the work.

Seeing as how Thanks-for-nothing-giving is fast approaching, time and $ are a premium right now. Sigh.
I know it ain't what you wanted to hear. Does your FIL have any friends that do that kind of work? Race guys usually know the difference between someone who's good and someone who's good enough...