4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, for the worse news. I have $1800+ tied up in these two engines and cannot use either one of them due to needing more parts. I might as well have put another $1500 into the purchase price of the 5.7L and that would have netted me a cheap crate engine (minus the accessories and the intake manifold.
Put one of the motors together and sell it on marketplace for $2000 to fund the parts you need on the other motor.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what I did with the peanut cam out of my 5.7L and the 3.42 gears out of the rear end, named Chebby and Gearhead :biggrin:
Theres a guy in town that owns a wrecker service that has a small block something with a old blower on it as a mail box. The "inlet" of the blower is a mail box that is attched to the rest of the blower. Next time I'm by his place Ill get a pic of it. Its pretty cool looking.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's what I did with the peanut cam out of my 5.7L and the 3.42 gears out of the rear end, named Chebby and Gearhead :biggrin:
You must be registered for see images attach

That's great lol. Wish I had the creativity.

Yeah about that 4.3L, I was going to pressure wash it today since the carb repair kit for the pressure washer came in. It took like 15 minutes to tear that down, replace everything that was in the kit, reinstall, and pull the rope to start it. Fired right up the first pull. Ran 10 seconds, DIED. Carb is leaking even worse now. No idea why. It's easier to just get a new carb as they are only a few $ more expensive than the rebuild/repair kit.

Sigh.....

I need a break from all thing automotive for a while. So, I spent the rest of the day doing things around the house that I've been meaning to get to for ages now.

Then, my brother in law showed up with this:

1970 Pontiac Bonneville with a 455/TH400. It's a thing of beauty :cool:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, it seems the bearings should be .010-over to compensate for that amount out of tolerance.
A worn cylinder wall gets the boring-bar run through it. The result is a slightly-larger bore once the existing wall surface is cut away. You'd buy OVERsize pistons because the cylinder wall diameter is larger.

A worn crank journal gets a grinding wheel touched against it. The result is a slightly-smaller journal once the worn--damaged outer surface of the journal is cut away. You'd buy UNDERsize bearings to account for the smaller diameter of the journal.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A worn cylinder wall gets the boring-bar run through it. The result is a slightly-larger bore once the existing wall surface is cut away. You'd buy OVERsize pistons because the cylinder wall diameter is larger.

A worn crank journal gets a grinding wheel touched against it. The result is a slightly-smaller journal once the worn--damaged outer surface of the journal is cut away. You'd buy UNDERsize bearings to account for the smaller diameter of the journal.

Still makes no sense. I get that what you are telling me is the accepted standard, but is still seems a55 backwards to me.