4.3L to ?? swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That crank journal looks beautiful to me.

Hammering the lifters out? Yikes!

That's my ideal block right there. Four-bolt mains and roller cam provisions! If you don't have the roller cam parts, hit up Pull-A-Part and nab some!
Not hammering, just tapping out with a dead blow hammer.

What are roller cam provisions?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah nevermind.... I used the lying google to figure it out. Honestly, I don't see the need for that upgrade right now. I may, however, hoard the parts if I should find them - for use at a later date.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're planning on a cam swap, now is absolutely the time to do it. Mechanically there is no downside to a hydraulic roller cam on a street engine, and you can get the factory roller pieces dirt cheap at Pull-A-Part. Unlike flat-tappet lifters you can clean and reuse them and swap them from lobe to lobe. The cam does cost about 3x more, but it's money well spent.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't the roller lifters come with the new cam? That would make used roller lifters from a yard.. moot point.

I did, however, get a hold of the machine shop I use. He is swamped with work at the moment and the poor guy is by appointment only. He does top notch work, though, so the wait is worth is.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the roller lifters come with the new cam? That would make used roller lifters from a yard.. moot point.
Only if you pay $200 more. I got the factory lifter setup for about $20 from Pull-A-Part.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only if you pay $200 more. I got the factory lifter setup for about $20 from Pull-A-Part.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Meaning you used the cam from the yard, too? I wonder which vehicles would have had that?

Right now, I'm just going to use hydraulic flat tappet. I need this all done on the cheap. Lots of projects, one paycheck. I'm sure we've all been there.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't get the cam from the yard. I'm planning on a slightly larger cam - probably around .450" lift. WCJr has a set of PAP lifters as well and it's running .507/.515" lift reliably. Right now I'm looking at Summit's $270 roller cam for my cheap 350. That's a roller cam upgrade for under $300 total.

I certainly understand cheap, that's why I'm using used lifters. I put a $50 cam in my previous motor, and I'm worried the lobes won't survive break-in. It's still sitting on the run stand while I try and figure out why I can't get the balancer on. I'll be sure and get video when I break it in.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled the springs and valves from both heads. YUCK! The machine shop I'll be taking these to says there should be a 6-digit code on either head, to identify them. I can find none.

EDIT: I found the casting code and learned that these heads are absolutely nothing special lol.

10110810: 1991 through 1997 305ci and 350ci engines. 64cc chambers. 305ci had 1.84-inch intake valves and 350ci engines had 1.94-inch intake valves.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update. I started pulling the 4.3L today.

NOTE: using a seat belt instead of a load leveler is soooo much easier!

It's hard to tell from this pic, however, the engine lift didn't go any higher and the oil pan was just a 1/2" shy of clearing the radiator support.

To remedy this, I let 20 psi of air out of the front tires and it worked.

Someone want to tell me what part of these mounts won't work with the V8?

Anyway, I have a new intake manifold gasket, new oil pan gasket, and new TBI gasket all waiting to be installed. Also, I'm going to scrub some of the oily mess off of the block. The starter, wiring, side of the block, exhaust manifold, dipstick tube... all drenched in oil. There's also a fresh puddle that formed in my driveway from when I was pouring in a bottle of Motor Honey. $7 useless gimmick to stop leaks. I'll let you all guess if it worked or not.

Oh, and btw... I bought a 28" core radiator with oil cooler support from Rock Auto, for the V8 when it's ready. The very next day, lol, I found the coveted 33" core rad WITH oil cooler support! One of those radiators is going in. That tiny V6 radiator is getting junked.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just done the same with my 95, yanked the engine due to blown head gasket .....

i see you're holding trans up with straps, if you set a 3/4 in piece of plywood across the torsion bars, under trans pan, its more stable imo.

also make sure torque converted can't come off unexpectedly ....

have fun.