4.3 to 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
rod knock usually means bearing wiped out, which took out the crank and rod with it, and could even mean the rod is bent, but it's usless anyways because the spun bearing wears out the rod opening, makes it bigger.

100% agree, If you reall want, i have my first 350 sitting outside, i could snap some pictures, the crank is just ******, and the rod is oversize now.

HwynB

Reaction score
The 4.3 ecu will work you just won't be able to get on it hard because it tops out

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
rod knock usually means bearing wiped out, which took out the crank and rod with it, and could even mean the rod is bent, but it's usless anyways because the spun bearing wears out the rod opening, makes it bigger.

that's what i was thinking, just wanted to make sure. never dealt with the bottom end in that degree. well back to the search and to do some thinking

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep I got crank pics of a wiped out bearing, and my buddy just found out the hard way on his dad's 4.3 s10 had a rod knock, spun a bearing, no. 1 i think wuped out the crank, and the rod too. They were both wiped out, crank for sure was like .040 out and the rod was about the same. it would have been a stupid bearing to fix it or alot of money for nothing with just one bearing and rod gone.

However, I bought 2 crank kits before one for a hundred and the other for about $150 and had all the bearings with it including the new ready to go crank. Not bad for an all new bottom minus rods and such. Bottom ends aint scary, you just need to check the end play and the plastigage thing to make sure you have proper bearing oil clearance, it's not hard at all, and doesn't take much time. it takes more time and rouble to degree in a cam then it does to check end play and tolerances for oil clearance and such. After that it's nothing just torque down in stages and in proper order.

96RedCav

That Cavalier guy
Reaction score
The 4.3 ecu will work you just won't be able to get on it hard because it tops out

And an e-turbo still pushes air. Doesn't mean it will work the way it should.

Matt, Don't worry about the bottom end. I can show you the ins and outs of that. Get your parts together so we can get dirty. I am not too sure on the motors from TJ. He keeps adding little things here and there when I talk to him. We will look into some other sources. Hell, Maybe even just grab a shortblock from Tom and build from there. He still has a couple from the ARCA cars laying around.

Last edited:

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i think my biggest problem is the time restraint cause it is my DD, which is making me lean toward bad options to do a quick job. i think i will track down a new car to drive so i can park the truck and decide what i truly want to do and do it right. i will most likely end up rebuilding the v6 but if i find the right parts for a v8 swap then i will do that. we'll see what happens.

Matt, Don't worry about the bottom end. I can show you the ins and outs of that. Get your parts together so we can get dirty. I am not too sure on the motors from TJ. He keeps adding little things here and there when I talk to him. We will look into some other sources. Hell, Maybe even just grab a shortblock from Tom and build from there. He still has a couple from the ARCA cars laying around.

talk to him and see what he has, i would like a complete motor or if he has parts to get a mostly complete motor i might consider that

Last edited:

96RedCav

That Cavalier guy
Reaction score
Tom has nothing left, boo..That's the same thing that will be happening to mine if I swap it..It will be torn down at pop's house while it gets rebuilt. Throw a tranny in the breeze and drive that thing. Perfect beater car.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
that breeze is too small for me, hurts my back and hips just to sit in it and i can't have that working 9 hours a day on my feet. did you get my texts yesterday? i want to possibly buy that el camino, it seems like he doesn't care about it so he might let it go for cheap.