4.3 to 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
alright, heard back from my brother today and here's the deal.

i can get the 350 for $100 and it is a complete motor with TBI out of a GMT400 but has a rod knock
or
i can get a carbed 305 out of an El-comino. it might run rough because it hasn't been run much, have not heard about a price yet.

i am leaning more towards the 350 because of the price and the fact that is TBI and out of a GMT400 so it will go in much easier but the rod knock has me worried. i think i could throw some bearings in it and be fine but i know i should have the block gone through and stuff which will eat up most of the budget. but i am not 100% on the 305 cause i would like to stay TBI and i think getting the 305 will be more work than what it is worth cause it is still is in the car. i think the price of the 305 might settle it and in the mean time i will call around on some prices to have a block checked and other parts.

any opinions?
Stay away from the rod knock engine, it will need a rebuild.

IMHO, buy the rod knock engine for the parts (TBI, Manifold, Sensors, etc) and find a good 350 to swap over to TBI.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
will the intake 350 fit on the 305? maybe i can work out a deal with the guy if it will work together.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you are being hard headed and looking at stupid options. If you wanna buy a motor that you will have to do work on, you might as well go to the GM dealer and buy one of the budget 350. They are like 1500 bucks and will have a 3 year warranty. Otherwise just fix your head gasket or buy a good running motor that is complete.

You are making complaints about your budget and what you can afford but you wanna get a 100 dollar 350 with rod knock.

Do things right or don't bother. You are chasing foolish dreams.

I may sound like an ******* but I am telling you the truth.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will the intake 350 fit on the 305? maybe i can work out a deal with the guy if it will work together.

Depends on the years. the four center intake bolts are different from 86-87 i beleive.

Basically if the 305 is perimeter bolt valve cover than the tbi intake isnt going to fit unless you drill the intake holes out.

I did this same exact **** when I was your age. I bought a 200 dollar station wagon with a carb 305 and swapped it into my car, by the time i swapped my intake over with gaskets and the manifolds didnt work and this n that I spent the same money I could have just bought a used engine for, that would have been a plug and play deal. instead i spent weeks dickin around with my car when it could have been done in a few hours.

Edit- orange you keep beating me to punch you *******

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Depends on the years. the four center intake bolts are different from 86-87 i beleive.

Basically if the 305 is perimeter bolt valve cover than the tbi intake isnt going to fit unless you drill the intake holes out.

I did this same exact **** when I was your age. I bought a 200 dollar station wagon with a carb 305 and swapped it into my car, by the time i swapped my intake over with gaskets and the manifolds didnt work and this n that I spent the same money I could have just bought a used engine for, that would have been a plug and play deal. instead i spent weeks dickin around with my car when it could have been done in a few hours.

Edit- orange you keep beating me to punch you *******

Hahah, Yea only way i would buy the rod knock 350 is for parts, its not even really worth the $100, **** when i was building my first 350, i had some GIVE ME a complete TBI 350, Intake-Pan.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i understand that i sound like ignorant fool but i just want to explore all my options. in all honesty the more i look into this swap the more i just want to fix the original motor but if i don't try then i won't know. i am sorry if this thread seems to be a bunch of stupid ideas but i just want to try and some information from people who have more than me.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i understand that i sound like ignorant fool but i just want to explore all my options. in all honesty the more i look into this swap the more i just want to fix the original motor but if i don't try then i won't know. i am sorry if this thread seems to be a bunch of stupid ideas but i just want to try and some information from people who have more than me.

Meh, There is no such thing as a stupid question.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you have a bunch of parts layin around trying to do it on a budget and piece it together is just gonna cost more. I would personally just fix your motor and if you want a v8 later just save up so you can do it the way you want to do it.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
rod knock usually means bearing wiped out, which took out the crank and rod with it, and could even mean the rod is bent, but it's usless anyways because the spun bearing wears out the rod opening, makes it bigger.