383 Vortec questions!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ X2. Monster Transmission is a bad idea IMO. Lots of horror stories about them floating around.

Reaction score
The only recommendation I could give is to NOT USE MONSTER. Seriously... I don't know how they are still in business. Do a little research and read all the terrible reviews about them using old parts or just painting a non-rebuilt trans and shipping it back out the door. Non responsive to problems and terrible customer service, etc...

Find a good reputable local shop that will give you a warranty and use them.
Hard to find shops in my area that do transmissions, a lot of them won’t even do engine work anymore, “too much liability” is what they say, or people are just getting lazy… I know one about an hour from me but I don’t know if they build transmissions or just swap them out. I will given them a call and check.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard to find shops in my area that do transmissions, a lot of them won’t even do engine work anymore, “too much liability” is what they say, or people are just getting lazy… I know one about an hour from me but I don’t know if they build transmissions or just swap them out. I will given them a call and check.
You don't have transmission shops in Virginia? I'm having a hard time believing that. You would be better off buying a book and a rebuild kit and rebuilding the transmission yourself while referencing youtube videos than you would buying a Monster transmission. In fact, you would be money, time, and frustration WAY ahead not even thinking about using them.

Reaction score
You don't have transmission shops in Virginia? I'm having a hard time believing that. You would be better off buying a book and a rebuild kit and rebuilding the transmission yourself while referencing youtube videos than you would buying a Monster transmission. In fact, you would be money, time, and frustration WAY ahead not even thinking about using them.
There are two about an hour from me, I live way out in the country. I will make some calls and see what I turn up. I rather support local shops if there are any. I am just not too excited about doing a transmission rebuild myself. I have no problem dropping the trans in my truck, but I am nervous about cracking one open.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two about an hour from me, I live way out in the country. I will make some calls and see what I turn up. I rather support local shops if there are any. I am just not too excited about doing a transmission rebuild myself. I have no problem dropping the trans in my truck, but I am nervous about cracking one open.
In my experience, they are no harder to do than rebuilding an engine. Get the ATSG manual and take your time and you would be fine. Cleanliness is key. Best bet is to do a teardown and inspection. Put everything in a big bin and take the whole thing into a shop with a heavy duty wash machine and pay them to run everything through the hot wash. Then take it all home and put it all together with new/improved stuff. I had never done one before and so far I've done a 6L80 and a 4L80 with no issues. The 6L80 has 60k miles of towing on it now ands still going strong. The 4L80 is going in my squarebody behind an L29 and hasn't had any real use yet.

Reaction score
In my experience, they are no harder to do than rebuilding an engine. Get the ATSG manual and take your time and you would be fine. Cleanliness is key. Best bet is to do a teardown and inspection. Put everything in a big bin and take the whole thing into a shop with a heavy duty wash machine and pay them to run everything through the hot wash. Then take it all home and put it all together with new/improved stuff. I had never done one before and so far I've done a 6L80 and a 4L80 with no issues. The 6L80 has 60k miles of towing on it now ands still going strong. The 4L80 is going in my squarebody behind an L29 and hasn't had any real use yet.
Well, I am currently rebuilding a 350 vortec to swap in to my truck. That’s been a pretty straightforward process though… OHV engines are so simple. If I come across something I don’t understand, this forum or YouTube usually has the answer. We will see about the transmission… I think with the considerable extra power and torque my 4l60e with 170k on it may not hold up.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
An 880 4 bolt main with stock rods hypereutectic piston and different piston ring gap and a stock crank can handle 697 hp turbo boosted at 5000 rpm.
~550 @ 5,500 on a 125 shot for 3 years in my Express. Got greedy and hurt it on a 200 shot after numerous more bottles. Probably making 800 ft/lbs at 3,000 when it pounded a rod bearing nearly flat and started getting blowby from a cracked piston.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think pat said that thing was pushing 714 torque. I think this combo would run great as a fun little cruiser, nitrous or turbo. Nitrous isn't even all that expensive either it's like 30 bucks a bottle to refill around here anyway.
~550 @ 5,500 on a 125 shot for 3 years in my Express. Got greedy and hurt it on a 200 shot after numerous more bottles. Probably making 800 ft/lbs at 3,000 when it pounded a rod bearing nearly flat and started getting blowby from a cracked piston.

Last edited: