383 Vortec questions!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gebo44

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 383 ran well with a carb and HEI. It runs equally well with the OEM style injection. Q-jet was completely refurbished and totally recalibrated for the 383s specs by me. Not a single passageway inside was stock dimension.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

69project

Reaction score
The GM 383 does not use a factory L31 truck cam.

I doubt they ran it with the stock intake and EFI on the dyno.
The cam specs listed for mine are: lift: .431 intake, .451 exhaust duration: 196 degrees intake, 206 degrees exhaust @ .050 tappet lift. So the cam is slightly bigger than stock but it still uses the stock valve springs which are the limiting factor for cams with a VORTEC engine. I have read of people using the GM Hot Cam but it requires machining for different valve springs. Mine is a crate engine with a warranty so I am not ready to go there just yet.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Vortec heads, switching to LS2/LS6 valvesprings with Comp Cams 787-16 retainers gets you clearance to run up to .530" lift without machining. I'm running a Lunati cam with .515" lift on untouched Vortec heads.

69project

Reaction score
On Vortec heads, switching to LS2/LS6 valvesprings with Comp Cams 787-16 retainers gets you clearance to run up to .530" lift without machining. I'm running a Lunati cam with .515" lift on untouched Vortec heads.
That's great information, I am glad someone figured out an easier solution.

Skip Fix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blueprint said they do run with the factory EFI but long tube dyno headers. I would guess stock manifolds would kill a fair amount of HP and even JBAs into Magnaflows' 2" mandrel bent system and cats will also.

I stand corrected on cam HT383E has 196/206 and L31 191/196. Still barely a bump for a 383 vs 350. A ZZ cam would have been a better choice a Hot Cam maybe a little to much for the stock computer.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blueprint said they do run with the factory EFI but long tube dyno headers. I would guess stock manifolds would kill a fair amount of HP and even JBAs into Magnaflows' 2" mandrel bent system and cats will also.

I stand corrected on cam HT383E has 196/206 and L31 191/196. Still barely a bump for a 383 vs 350. A ZZ cam would have been a better choice a Hot Cam maybe a little to much for the stock computer.
GM used the 395' cam so that they did not have to modify the Vortec heads. The performance version of the HT383 was called the ZZ383.

They all need a decent tune. Even headers on a near stock 350 will have the PCM pulling timing due to torque management torque limits.