383 Vortec questions!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I grew up with carbs, tri-power, dual point dizzies, etc :waytogo: Decided to learn how to tune/troubleshoot EFI about 5 year ago - I'll be 69 in August, my son will be 40 next year :anitoof:

You're not too old to learn new tricks, only dogs are :biggrin:
@PlayingWithTBI @L31MaxExpress how did you guys go about learning how to tune ? I'm tired of weeks and months of back and forth data logging/tune adjustments from Blackbear. I've got 2 cammed L31's, both with 0411 and 24x upgrades, along with headers and full exhaust on both. I'm in Houston area and cant find anyone local who wants to tune these trucks. I would love to know how to tune these setups myself, but don't know where to start.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how did you guys go about learning how to tune ? I'm tired of weeks and months of back and forth data logging/tune adjustments from Blackbear.
I'm no expert on this by any means. I learned a lot from reading and then joining a few forums like gearhead-efi.com etc
I'm not really into 96+ PCMs, just TBI. Dave w there worked with me where I got what I needed to flash my own chips so I could data log, email it to him, he'd tune a little and email the .bin back to me, I'd flash my chip, rinse and repeat. Then I got the EBL Flash-II and did my own. After 2 - 300 data logs, flashes, more reading, I started to get the idea :biggrin:

I'm sure @L31MaxExpress can help you more than I can.

Reaction score
I'm no expert on this by any means. I learned a lot from reading and then joining a few forums like gearhead-efi.com etc
I'm not really into 96+ PCMs, just TBI. Dave w there worked with me where I got what I needed to flash my own chips so I could data log, email it to him, he'd tune a little and email the .bin back to me, I'd flash my chip, rinse and repeat. Then I got the EBL Flash-II and did my own. After 2 - 300 data logs, flashes, more reading, I started to get the idea :biggrin:

I'm sure @L31MaxExpress can help you more than I can.
So with EBL Flash 2 I can tune and see significant gains in power? I just got a roller cam 350 vortec engine and I am prepping it for a swap into my 1993, with a summit dual plane intake with tbi adapter, a mild Summit 8800 roller cam(204/214 dur., 112 LSA +1 adv, and 450/450 with the stock 1.5 rockers) and a bored 46mm tbi unit from SPR Performance. I got flowtek headers and a 2.5" duals with an x pipe. EBL Flash 2 will give me the ability to flash tune and get the most out of my modifications? Could I see over 300hp N/A? I've already scoured over tunerpro and will be getting that software.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with EBL Flash 2 I can tune and see significant gains in power? I just got a roller cam 350 vortec engine and I am prepping it for a swap into my 1993
What trans do you have in your 93? The EBL can't control an electronic one like the 4L60E, you'll need a stand alone controller or run the EBL along side the OE PCM. The EBL can definitely optimize the efficiency and performance of your engine.

Could I see over 300hp N/A?
Maybe. You could get one of those programs that calculate your HP and TQ based on your build.

Reaction score
What trans do you have in your 93? The EBL can't control an electronic one like the 4L60E, you'll need a stand alone controller or run the EBL along side the OE PCM. The EBL can definitely optimize the efficiency and performance of your engine.

Maybe. You could get one of those programs that calculate your HP and TQ based on your build.
I have a 4l60e and its getting replaced with a built 4l60/65e from Monster, eventually, unless others have other recommendations. So far I am only about $1500 into this build between the engine and upgrades. I am emailing Bobr at Dynamic EFI to see what i need to do for transmission control. The bored TBI is gonna push it over $2000 though., and EBL Flash 2 will push it even higher. Still way cheaper than a new truck though!!! :biggrin:

Reaction score
Will do. Sorry for reviving an old thread, as my profile suggests I am still a newbie lol. I was reading through all the threads with "EBL Flash 2" and I felt this was better than starting another new thread when so many older ones have the answers if you're willing to dig through them.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading through all the threads with "EBL Flash 2"
You wanna read about EBL? Here's a link dedicated to it.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 4l60e and its getting replaced with a built 4l60/65e from Monster, eventually, unless others have other recommendations. So far I am only about $1500 into this build between the engine and upgrades. I am emailing Bobr at Dynamic EFI to see what i need to do for transmission control. The bored TBI is gonna push it over $2000 though., and EBL Flash 2 will push it even higher. Still way cheaper than a new truck though!!! :biggrin:
The only recommendation I could give is to NOT USE MONSTER. Seriously... I don't know how they are still in business. Do a little research and read all the terrible reviews about them using old parts or just painting a non-rebuilt trans and shipping it back out the door. Non responsive to problems and terrible customer service, etc...

Find a good reputable local shop that will give you a warranty and use them.