383 Engine Head Suggestions Wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I do not swap to a 6.0 LS V8, I will stroke my 1989 Silverado's 350 V8 to a 383 V8. I greatly prefer to keep the TBI fuel injection and would like suggestions on what heads, aluminum or iron, to use on a 383 V8 with TBI. I want the result of the new engine to be a good driver on the street and it will not be used for the strip or towing heavy trailers on a regular basis. I will tow my 1969 Oldsmobile 442 convertible a few times a year.

Thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty-much any head you choose would be an upgrade. Some more than others.

"I" would stay the hell away from "Vortec" designs, as retaining EGR is a nightmare, the bolt-pattern for intake manifolds is different, and the TBI accessories may not bolt-up.

Beware cheap Communist Chinese castings whether or not they're finished in the USA. IF they're finished in the USA, they're likely finished with similarly-bottom-feeder valves, springs, etc.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with Summit branded Dart heads for my latest 383. They have the older intake bolt pattern, so I had my machinist modify my Edelbrock tbi intake to bolt up. They have the exhaust crossover for the egr and are American made. They come set up for a flat tappet, so I’m taking them apart and doing a little cleanup and installing some beehive springs for the roller cam I’m using.

I was going to say that they are a good deal at $399, but I see that they raised the price to $579 ea.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went with Summit branded Dart heads for my latest 383. They have the older intake bolt pattern, so I had my machinist modify my Edelbrock tbi intake to bolt up. They have the exhaust crossover for the egr and are American made. They come set up for a flat tappet, so I’m taking them apart and doing a little cleanup and installing some beehive springs for the roller cam I’m using.

I was going to say that they are a good deal at $399, but I see that they raised the price to $579 ea.
Thanks for the information. Damn inflation.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty-much any head you choose would be an upgrade. Some more than others.

"I" would stay the hell away from "Vortec" designs, as retaining EGR is a nightmare, the bolt-pattern for intake manifolds is different, and the TBI accessories may not bolt-up.

Beware cheap Communist Chinese castings whether or not they're finished in the USA. IF they're finished in the USA, they're likely finished with similarly-bottom-feeder valves, springs, etc.
Do you have a suggestion for a better head that will work with the stock TBI?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a suggestion for a better head that will work with the stock TBI?
Both Summit (via Trick Flow) and Edelbrock made CARB-approved direct-replacement TBI heads. Far as I know, both are discontinued.
www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108

Pretty much everything else will require either a different intake manifold, or reworking the center two bolt holes on each side of the manifold. Some folks have done this successfully. When I looked at it, it appeared to me to be impossible due to the thinness of the intake manifold casting; and the angle required. IF (big IF) you rework the bolt holes, be sure to use the angled washers so the bolt heads sit flat on the washer surface instead of being side-loaded.

If this were me--and it isn't--I'd rather plug the two center holes in the cylinder head intake manifold gasket surface, and re-drill the heads rather than playing with the manifold.

When I put aftermarket heads on my '88 K1500 engine, I used old-style aftermarket aluminum heads and the ZZ4-style intake manifold, but that requires substantial EGR and other rework, plus fabricating a new strut rod for the A/C compressor. The ZZ manifold is not for the faint-of-heart.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFR Enforcers are as-cast heads that get some work and good parts. They're about $1100 for a set, last I checked. They're what I was wanting until the budget fell out of my engine build project.