357,000 Mile 1996 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case I might have my uncle make a bracket for me, it’s mostly just to kick it. The huge bulky third row bench wasn’t bolted down when I got it it took forever to get out of the truck even unbolted I’m just glad that this one is smaller no matter how annoying it is to try to fit it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'd be amazed how fast that unsecured bulky 3rd row would remove itself from the interior through the side glass, even faster with a couple hundred pounds strapped to it... Having your Uncle make a bracket for it is a great idea.

I like the direction you're going with the interior color scheme, it'll look good once it's done. If it's done right, two-tone interiors look classy.

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now it’s time for my buddy at work to solder the wiring for my Apple CarPlay head unit and I can put this Dash piece back on after that. Missed a spot by the headlight switch but could care less.

For anyone who wants to know the process- I’m sure it’s been talked about before but that SEM paint with like 10 absolutely light coats works amazing. I do a coat barely enough to cover and then the next time I go back and go to the opposite side of the piece, painting with another light coat; so five coats for each side of the item leaving it in the sun and keeping my paint warm of course.

You must be registered for see images attach

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Slowly changing things from neutral to black yes! Not everything I’m not gonna go with door panels and stuff and I definitely want to do it slowly cleaning every piece so it looks like it came that way

Cant wait to see the progress. That's what I shooting for. Black/neutral interior. I've started some but need to redo everything take my time and do it right. I'm trying to follow @sewlow advice whenever I tackle it finally.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Now it’s time for my buddy at work to solder the wiring for my Apple CarPlay head unit and I can put this Dash piece back on after that. Missed a spot by the headlight switch but could care less.

For anyone who wants to know the process- I’m sure it’s been talked about before but that SEM paint with like 10 absolutely light coats works amazing. I do a coat barely enough to cover and then the next time I go back and go to the opposite side of the piece, painting with another light coat; so five coats for each side of the item leaving it in the sun and keeping my paint warm of course.

Nice!
I did the same to my '98. But I dyed the whole surround. With a very dark Graphite.
The rest of the dash is still the factory light grey. Very few other 400 owners even notice the change.

Did you remove the vent pods from the cluster surround to dye them?

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice!
I did the same to my '98. But I dyed the whole surround. With a very dark Graphite.
The rest of the dash is still the factory light grey. Very few other 400 owners even notice the change.

Did you remove the vent pods from the cluster surround to dye them?

I’m very good at painting after all these years so I painted them in place and just touched them slightly To move them. I’ll have to check yours out

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A belated welcome to the forum. Nice Burb. New love for these trucks is always a good thing. The painted grill came out nice, along with all the painted trim work. By the way, what brand of headlights are those? Hiw do you like them, and what about fitment? Any leek issues?

Last edited:

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A belated welcome to the forum. Nice Burb. New love for these trucks is always a good thing. The painted grill came out nice, along with all the painted trim work. By the way, what brand of headlights are those? Hiw do you like them, and what about fitment? Any leek issues?

Thank you! I bought a new black grille and sold the old one. Headlights are from eBay the best reviewed ones. This is all on a budget and I didn’t deal the headlights with silicone I just popped them in so they take on water [emoji97]

AshleySellsCars

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered how the quality, functionality and long term reliability is on those BOSS units. Let us know your thoughts as you get more use out of it.

Will do - I can tell right away that the screen is kind of dull compared to the pioneer Apple CarPlay unit I use in my WRX , but a major upgrade over the Delco.