305 Is a Turd Correct?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello 2Grim4U,

Good question. I think that a good part of the rule of thumb of the superiority of the 350 vs the 305
is due to how the engine was originally placed in the General's powertrain pecking order. Despite sharing
the same 3.48" stroke, the smaller bore (and lack of 4-bolt mains) cause a lot of engine builders to look
for the bigger brother.

But there's been *lots* of thrilling power built atop 2-bolt main SBCs all the way back to the beginning.
And before you replace your 305, there's a PowerNation video that is a Mythbuster to the inability of the
305 to be built to deliver on the promise. (Jumping off point over here.)

(The 305 is ~14.7% smaller than the 350, and before watching the video I would have blamed the smaller
bore as making it act even smaller than that on the street...but with modern cylinder heads and associated
21st century technology they made the lowly 305 act a lot more like the fabled DZ302 than a larger yet
smog-headed 350.)

When it comes to overall performance of any system, it's all about identifying the real bottleneck in
the design and fixing that first, instead of spending money on either side of the bottleneck and
not realizing any appreciable performance gain for all your hard-earned moolah.

Anyway, when you have a little time to make yourself some popcorn, give that video a view and
then sleep on it. (BTW, I was pointed to this video by another member of the forum, and I know
my preconceptions were blown out of the water. Good stuff.)

Enjoy --
Cool!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• IMG_6002.jpeg
    IMG_6002.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 7

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
305 Vortec makes a little less tq than a TBI 350 but a little more HP so yeah if you have some Vortec 305 heads and have a roller block you can upgrade then go for it.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s where I’m at with you and max express. I’m the type of guy who doesn’t like regret and I built a 307 once lol. I replaced it a couple years later with a stock vortec engine with a 600cfm street avenger carb and it was damn year night and day stronger than the 307 lol. I will more than likely build a mild 350 or 400 but hell anything can happen with my impatient ass lol
The 307 in my Nova ran strong but it had aftermarket cam, intake, 600 carb, headers, and some 1.94 valve heads.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Build a similar stroked 350 and look at another 100hp and at least another 80 ft lbs-100 ft lbs. + in a more conservatively cammed street friendly package for almost the same costs..... These guys built an 11.1 CR, 334 ci stoker,5- 7k rpm high rpm, race engine. You can build any engine the question is bang for the buck. Given the same modifications 50 extra cubes has an advantage out of the gate. I don't believe they left out talking about torque curves this thing produced accidentally.

Last edited:

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
From my experience, we had a 84 Chevy caprice wagon.. god I can still smell that thing.. loved that thing so much.. in fact all three of my GM has that special smell it’s almost nostalgic. You all know what I’m talking about… lol.. but anyway it had a 305 and with very basic maintenance it lasted us 400 thou miles. That thing was used as a truck towed and used as basically everything! Needed a tranny so we had it rebuilt and the builder said I’m gonna build this thing like I would a taxi cab tranny.. som ***** is gonna shift hard but you’ll never be in the tranny shop again.. he was right on all fronts!! 305 is a great motor in my humble opinion not built for speed but had it where it needed it and got GM out of the smog era while still having a moderate mild v8 to offer.. 350, too but that’s another whole beast and was offered as an upgrade option for awhile while the 305 was a standard or base in most GM cars.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
From my experience, we had a 84 Chevy caprice wagon.. god I can still smell that thing.. loved that thing so much.. in fact all three of my GM has that special smell it’s almost nostalgic. You all know what I’m talking about… lol.. but anyway it had a 305 and with very basic maintenance it lasted us 400 thou miles. That thing was used as a truck towed and used as basically everything! Needed a tranny so we had it rebuilt and the builder said I’m gonna build this thing like I would a taxi cab tranny.. som ***** is gonna shift hard but you’ll never be in the tranny shop again.. he was right on all fronts!! 305 is a great motor in my humble opinion not built for speed but had it where it needed it and got GM out of the smog era while still having a moderate mild v8 to offer.. 350, too but that’s another whole beast and was offered as an upgrade option for awhile while the 305 was a standard or base in most GM cars.

Interior smells that is lololll.. i wasn’t sniffing the chassis for Christ sake hahahhahababaaaa!!!!