1998 Z71 Stalls when coasting downhill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hbomb

Reaction score
I’ve noticed my 1998 Z71 will stall when coasting downhill. Seems to happen when engine is somewhat cold. Rpms go to nothing, power steering and brakes quit, but I am able to come to a stop put in a park and start right back up.

Does not happen when I’m giving it gas. Any thoughts? Maybe get a tuneup to start?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're going to have to do some diagnosis. Being that it only happens when cold, I'd suspect a fuel mixture problem, specifically running rich. I'd start by checking O2 sensor voltage and make sure it swings at least 7 times in 10 seconds. EDIT: ...but I don't think the computer actually looks at the O2 sensor until it's warmed up.

Check for dead squirrels and acorns in the air filter box. If you haven't done a tune-up in a while, definitely start there.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE? Diesel? V-6?
Had a good laugh, never seen a V6 Z71.
Cant recall a diesel Z71 either.
Vast majority of Z71's were Silverado package and 5.7. Maybe a couple 5.0's...
Never seen a 7.4 in a K1500
Never seen a Z71 in a 2500
I have yet to see a Cheyenne, non power window, non A/C truck with Z71
But a good laugh anyway. Thanks!

O.P. we need more info, you might even have to be using a scantool when it happens.
Question: how much fuel is in the tank, and how steep of a downhill?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You're going to have to do some diagnosis. Being that it only happens when cold, I'd suspect a fuel mixture problem, specifically running rich. I'd start by checking O2 sensor voltage and make sure it swings at least 7 times in 10 seconds. EDIT: ...but I don't think the computer actually looks at the O2 sensor until it's warmed up.

Check for dead squirrels and acorns in the air filter box. If you haven't done a tune-up in a while, definitely start there.
You saw that Avalanche the squirrel was using for his pantry too, huh? I couldn't believe it, wouldn't have if there hadn't been pictures!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decades ago I had a customer bring in a Maxima that was running poorly. I emptied an entire airbox full of acorns. It didn't take an internet meme to wake me up to that truth.