1997 old man truck rehab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Or just open the glove box and check the RPO sticker.

GT3/GU6 = 3.42

It's either gonna be that or something lame in a 2wd.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let us know how you like the new injectors. Been think about replacing mine for some time now, but I just rebuilt my diff, so that is a ways down the list.

I’ve done it on two 98s, generally just because I was already in there for the intake manifold gaskets and figured what the hell.

On the truck with 170k-ish miles at the time, it was a real improvement. Night and day. On a Tahoe with 50k on a reman, there was zero difference. Should’ve saved my money.

My impression, then, is that a “holy cow look at this” improvement is most noticed when the stock injectors are really out to lunch. Less so when nothing’s too clogged, pretty clean and working like it’s supposed to.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would you cover the scoop? Wouldn’t that make it less effective?
1/4" hardware cloth is not cloth, per say. It's metal screen. Anything that low is going to catch rocks. The nomex honeycomb has tiny holes and will prevent anything damaging from hurting your intercooler, and supposedly it actually helps with airflow, but I'm skeptical that it's any better than direct air. Still, I'm a fan. Unfortunately, your air is making a 90° bend right before the intercooler, so I'm not sure the honeycomb would work.

Why am I worried about it? A couple years ago my race team was racing our MR2 at MSR Houston. We were in contention for a class win, and then the temperature started climbing. The driver pulled it into the pits and it was peeing coolant from a tiny dent in the radiator. We were lucky that one of the on-site shops was open and the owner did radiator repair. He put a plastic patch on the radiator and we got back on track - but we'd lost a full hour and were no longer in contention. After the race my team captain did research and discovered nomex honeycomb. We run with it on our radiators now because endurance racing is all about understanding that those 1/1000 chances happen regularly when you give them enough time.