1997 Chevy C2500 Cheyenne

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Woke up early today and made a 2 hour drive south to pick up my new seat. I think I did well.

You must be registered for see images

No rips, no stains, no BS. Couldn't be happier. This is the chair I wanted in the truck since the beginning. I know that the 88-94 blue doesn't exactly match the 96-98 darker blue, but I don't think anyone will really notice unless they're a hardcore 88-98 nut.

There's some work to do on the base however.

Going to sandblast this down and repaint it a shade closer to the darker blue in my truck. Hopefully that will split the difference in blue hues and bring everything together.

Also tried Rustoleum Rust Reformer on the floorboards and will have pictures of that tomorrow.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
There's some work to do on the base however.

Going to sandblast this down and repaint it a shade closer to the darker blue in my truck. Hopefully that will split the difference in blue hues and bring everything together.

Rather than adding a third blue, why not go with a low gloss black, or even silver?

What seat do you have now? I tried to go back and look, but some of your pictures disappear on me as soon as they load... I'm going to delete cookies and see if that helps.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A couple updates.

Finished the front end swap, and found that the aftermarket grille I bought for it fits terribly. Unfortunately it seems there's only one supplier of this thing no matter who you buy it from as all aftermarket brands are the same piece just rebranded. It's a pile.

1/4" to 1/2" gap around the fenders ---Center of the grille isn't the right size, so much so that it pulls the grille filler up almost 1/2" and causes it to sit over the bumper ---

It's all snapped in, all screws in it, and it's just terrible. This whole experience has changed my mind on what I want to do, at least with exterior looks. Going to try to find a used OEM grille and color match it to the body. Also going to color match the front and rear bumpers. Should be fun.

Just buy the gm grille for a Silverado or z71tahoe / limited. Your problems are exactly why I went oem.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rather than adding a third blue, why not go with a low gloss black, or even silver?

What seat do you have now? I tried to go back and look, but some of your pictures disappear on me as soon as they load... I'm going to delete cookies and see if that helps.
It's the blue bench in the background. I thought about doing black, but this piece is so obvious when you get in the truck and I feel like black would look unfinished. I just ordered the carpet today, and the blue I'm getting is essentially the same as the paint I picked out. I think it'll be OK. Time will tell. I'll post pics when it's done for everyone to point and laugh, haha.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just buy the gm grille for a Silverado or z71tahoe / limited. Your problems are exactly why I went oem.
For sure. Going to have to save some cash for that, they're pretty ridiculous on price from what I've seen.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After much research on this crap, I decided to try out Rustoleum Rust Reformer on the floor pan and I'll be following that up with a brush-on Rustoleum black enamel. I went with what was accessible to me at the time, and the prep involved with POR15. As many success stories as there are with that stuff, there's just as many horror stories about it peeling due to bad prep. If this doesn't work out, I'll clean it all off and go with POR15 and it's goofy prep process. As of now, if this fails, it's easily sanded off and I can start over. No, I havent patched the holes yet, waiting on a panel to show up from my supplier, but I wanted a coat of something on it so that it didn't flash rust in the meantime.

Patch panel should be here today, carpet next week. We'll see how it goes.

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That seat looks great, did you pick it up in WI somewhere?

I see what you mean about your truck having an identity crisis, being a heavy half 2wd. That blue is a gorgeous color though, you can’t go wrong with a 4/6 drop and some different wheels.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That seat looks great, did you pick it up in WI somewhere?

I see what you mean about your truck having an identity crisis, being a heavy half 2wd. That blue is a gorgeous color though, you can’t go wrong with a 4/6 drop and some different wheels.
Yeah, found it on Craigslist a couple weeks ago. The ad sucked, it was just 'Chevy seat' with no pics. He sent one picture in the email and that's all it took. Was in Watertown. Guy was a putz, but the seat was legit and only 75 bucks.

And yeah, identity crisis for sure. I think I've settled on doing just what you suggested. Going to keep my eyes open for some second hand lowering parts and just run it for this year. I've got a couple other irons in the fire for this year that need my attention, so I'll just make slow (and cheap) progress on this until next winter. Drop it, fancy it up a bit, and enjoy it.

I agree on the different wheels. I've tried to flip them for something else a couple times locally with no luck. That's another opportunity to overthink things as well, wheel choice. I have no idea what to put on it.

Last edited:

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like this truck and your choices so far. Its a unique color and I personally like the wheels. Maybe drop the stance is all I would change.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like this truck and your choices so far. Its a unique color and I personally like the wheels. Maybe drop the stance is all I would change.
Thanks! I'm not going to make any decision on the wheels until it's dropped. I think if I were to make a change I'd try to find a set of 16" 6-lug steel rally wheels with chrome caps and rings, and paint the steel wheel the same color as the truck. Idk. I'm just going to wait until I lower the thing and then make a decision. Lowering it might help me make up my mind on the wheels.