1997 Chevy C2500 Cheyenne

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys. Figured I'd start a thread on my truck so I can document its progress over time and share what I'm doing. Would love to get input as the process goes along.

Specs:
1997 Chevrolet C2500 'Heavy Half-Ton' RCLB
7200GVWR with 6-lug running gear
Vortec 350
14-bolt semi-floating axle
120,*** miles
Power nothing, no A/C, no goodies at all.

This truck was my father-in-law's truck for 10 years before it came to me. It's hard to believe by its condition, but it's a life-long Wisconsin truck and driven every winter. It's made it this far, and it's got sentimental value, so I'll be spending some cash and time making it my own and holding on to it for the long haul.

Here's the way he had it, and where I started. Let's just say the old man had 'eclectic taste'.

You must be registered for see images

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At that point, I felt ready to attack what I wanted to start doing, but the flares weren't doing it for me and neither was the W/T front end. So, off the flares came, and on went the Silverado grille with black housing headlights. That brought me to where I am now.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I hope you sold that cap for some cash, hard to come by long bed GMT400 bed caps.

Truck looks beautiful considering the circumstances. Looking forward to the progress!

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, now it's decision time. I've been tossing around different ideas of lifting it, lowering it, modifying the hell out of it, leaving it stock, so many different ideas.

At this point, I'm leaning towards lifting it. I've always been a sucker for a gently lifted RCLB truck. Just enough lift to make it a step higher than an OEM 4x4. Noticeable, but not redneck.

If I do lift it, when it comes to the body, s much as I like the smoothie front bumper and the clean look, I really think that the truck would look better with the period-correct bodyside moldings and bumpers with trim. Essentially make it the Silverado trim level on the outside. I just like the chrome/blue combo on this truck, and it's just so big that I think it needs something to break up the miles of blue.

I've also got some decisions to make on the interior. Right now it's a vinyl floor truck which I'm not a fan of, and it's got some conversion style seats in it that I'd really like to trade for a clean bench seat.

Finding a clean bench in blue has been impossible however, so I may have to be patient there.

There's a bunch of little stuff that needs to be fixed that I'll document here. Any input is appreciated! Thanks for following along!

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I sold it for 40 bucks, haha. Couldn't get nary a bite for weeks. Wanted it gone.

Must be a location thing, I know plenty of people down here who would jump all over a long bed cap.

So, now it's decision time. I've been tossing around different ideas of lifting it, lowering it, modifying the hell out of it, leaving it stock, so many different ideas.

At this point, I'm leaning towards lifting it. I've always been a sucker for a gently lifted RCLB truck. Just enough lift to make it a step higher than an OEM 4x4. Noticeable, but not redneck.

Take it from someone who lifted his C1500:

- It's cool for awhile, but then you realize you can't really do anything with it other than look the part. When people invite you places offroading and you tell them you're only a 2WD, things get awkward.
- They look great, but function > form in my opinion. I'm actually exploring options on getting my truck back to stock levels and revisiting the drawing board with it.
- The ride is stiffer than stock in some occasions, and it makes parking awkward too. I've ran into plenty of times I wish I was just stock or lowered so I wouldn't have to go from D to R to D to R to D to R just to back into a spot.

If you're looking to change the look, I'd highly recommend starting with a set of lowering shackles in the rear. It should level the truck out and give you an idea on if you like the look or want to go lower/higher. Lowering shackles can be had for cheap and it's easily reversible if you don't like them. Give it a shot and it'll tell you everything you need to know about your wants and needs.

Just a side note, I LOVE those seats for some reason, and I'm a bench seat fanatic. :Big Laugh:

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great info. Yeah, it's probably a location thing. Caps in general up here seem to be a dying affair.

As far as the off-roading, yeah, I totally hear that. I guess though, I would say that I'd never wheel this truck hard, and here in NE WI, there's literally nowhere to go anyway. There are zero off-roading options here. The nearest legal off-road area is 75 miles away and the rest is just farm field. I'm sure Texas is faaaar more accommodating when it comes to fun truck activities.

I've read your build thread thoroughly and the stance you've ended up with is exactly what I'd be looking for. This shot right here is money, exactly what I'd be aiming for as far as tire and height:
You must be registered for see images attach

I could definitely drop the rear a couple inches for the time being with shackles while I save for lift parts and tires just to level that god-awful rake out. Who knows, maybe I find that the lowered life is for me after all and spend my money on something else. This truck will never see another winter so ride height and weather doesn't apply anymore. I will say, it's truly awesome how accomodating these trucks are to modifying and personalization. There's literally no end to what you can do.

wiscomick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the way, I saw your wanted ad, if you're interested in some sort of swap for my stock spindles, let me know. Otherwise, consider me first in line for the sale.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Texas has a few spots to go play offroad, but it's mainly just knowing the right people. The 4" lift wasn't a terrible idea for my truck, and if I weren't buying a 4x4 S10 Blazer in a couple of weeks I'd probably keep it lifted. But 99 percent sure that Blazer will have the truck's tires on it soon enough, and then I'll probably get this thing back to stock. All depends on when I get stock spindles for it.

As far as your spindles, I think that the C1500 and C2500 spindles are different. Something about the upper ball joint location. I appreciate the offer! I just think my spindles probably wouldn't work with your set up and vice versa. Someone else might be able to chime in about that one.

I'm a little biased to lowered blue RCLB's though, considering I owned an '85 in the same set up but it was a C10 and it had a 454 in it. :Big Laugh: