1997 2WD ? about ABS sensor on front hubs, only on one side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qwikgta

Reaction score
OK, so I have tried to search the web and use the search function here but I can't seem to hit on the correct search words. Sorry if this is a nub question but I am so frustrated I just have to ask.

I purchased a 1997 standard cab, short bed that had been lowered 3" in front 4" in the rear. The front was just springs and the rear was lowered leaf spring hangers and shackles. I took the truck in for a yearly inspection and failed because of upper and lower ball joints. I purchased all the parts needed to rebuild the front end and decided to add poly upper control arm and lower control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and end links and all the steering parts. I also purchased a set of DJM 2" lowering spindles and rear end parts to make the drop a 5/7. As I was collecting all these parts I lucked into a new set of brand new rotors while at my local pick n pull. They were "new in box" and I snagged them for the used price.

I popped the ball joints and removed the front spindle/rotor combo as one unit, then removed and replaced all the parts I mentioned above. When I removed the front passenger side spindle/rotor there was a wire harness attached to it that fed all the way under the car to another harness that looked like it stopped at the ABS computer (?). The drivers side did NOT have any harness attached to it and came out easy.

As I looked at the two removed rotors side by side, the only difference between the two was that one had a sensor that looks like a speed sensor, there is a ring on the inside of the rotor hub. The other has nothing on the inside, no ring, no harness. When I took the two apart to get the dust-shields off, I have two different shields, one has the sensor and the other does not.

SO my question is for a 1997 2WD C1500, do I have ABS speed sensors on the front hubs or not? Also, why would I have two different rotors, one with the "ABS ring" one without?

I did not have an ABS "light" on, and I'm not even sure if the harness from the passenger side was even hooked up. The two brand new rotors DO have the "ring" on the inside and to make them fit my truck, I had to modify the "non-sensor" side dust shield to fit over the "ring".

Thanks for any help.