1996 Suburban Suspension Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roy Martin

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 96 GMC Suburban that has been in the family since new. I take meticulous care of this 233k mile truck, but I and my local trusted repair shop cannot figure this one out. I've got a noise coming from the rear suspension. I've attached a Youtube link showing me reproducing the sound by applying the brakes. It would seem to follow that it's in the brakes, but I can create this sound with hard cornering, hard pedal from a stop, or large speed bumps. My shop has also looked at the rear brakes and found nothing. Please help if you can. Thanks! Here is the video link:

(1) 1996 GMC Suburban noise - YouTube

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 96 GMC Suburban that has been in the family since new. I take meticulous care of this 233k mile truck, but I and my local trusted repair shop cannot figure this one out. I've got a noise coming from the rear suspension. I've attached a Youtube link showing me reproducing the sound by applying the brakes. It would seem to follow that it's in the brakes, but I can create this sound with hard cornering, hard pedal from a stop, or large speed bumps. My shop has also looked at the rear brakes and found nothing. Please help if you can. Thanks! Here is the video link:

(1) 1996 GMC Suburban noise - YouTube

Ok try 2 things. One. See if it's your muffler banging, hangers or anything around there... 2. Check your leafs, mine makes a similar sound but not that loud. And mine I believe are my leafs, there getting swapped soon to new ones

Roy Martin

Reaction score
Ok try 2 things. One. See if it's your muffler banging, hangers or anything around there... 2. Check your leafs, mine makes a similar sound but not that loud. And mine I believe are my leafs, there getting swapped soon to new ones
I've been thinking about replacing the springs anyway, so that may be a way to go. Going to check out exhaust right now....

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've diagnosed failing shocks on both of my '97s the same way. Didn't sound exactly like what was in that video, but similar and both of mine that failed were on the front.

Same here I notice mine when I release the brakes. Or when jumping on it. My next thought is the pinion? Not the same but kinda has that play sound? I would think it's more noticeable towards the center though not the rear

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would deffinitly get it off the ground and check for pinion play.
Only because that is big time pain in the ass if we are all wrong.
But, I dont think thats the problem.
Do you still have cats on that?
If so, bop em a few times with a rubber mallet to see if the element has come loose inside.
Same with the muffler
Hard to tell over a cell phone but that seems to be a loose hollow tin rattle sound rather than the "thunk" I would expect from a pinion.
Plus, I dont think you would have a pinion anymore.