1996 GMC Suburban "Kaye"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my new project, a 1996 GMC Suburban SLT. (Introduction re-written from my other thread)

I first saw this burb coming home last week, was parked on the corner with a for sale sign on the window. That Thursday I went and looked at it and I fell in love with it.

You must be registered for see images attach

I worked my ass off to sell Ms.Ferguson (my previous DD 05 Silverado) in a timely manner to buy this burb, I wanted to get it before someone else snagged it. After the guys bought Ms.Ferguson I called the guy with the burb and got a ride from my old man to pick it up.

Parked next to my other 400

She has a 5.7 with 190k, runs & drives well, looks good and is on a set of 22" Boss wheels. The inside isn't in bad shape but it has seen better days, especially the driver side of the leather bench. It has a system of some sort in it that sounds good but needs a little help, had to go over speed bumps on the way home and 3 of the speakers cut out. Was told it needs a new front passenger tire as it has a snapped belt and it definitely does, was a little sketchy and pretty slow coming home.

I paid 3200$ for her, and I love it. Need to get the windows re-tinted at some point as the rears are either 5% or 2% and I couldn't see **** out of it on the way home. This burb has everything I wanted in my other 400, 60/40 bench (I love bench seats), keyless, and the cool & superior cup holder dashboard. Once I get the tires replace and the tag swapped over she will be my DD, in the meantime I'm going to clean her up and fix the odds and ends.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nice Burb! Good to see another convert to the longroof lifestyle LOL!
I still want a pickup to haul junk I don't want to put in the back of the Burb. Got to clear out some more stuff, get rid of a few more things, and then I can start seriously looking for one. Gonna be a Chevy or a Jimmy though for sure; learned my lesson! No mo' foads LOL :boti:

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent most of my afternoon re-wiring the speakers since whoever installed then didn't do a great job. They cut off the stock connectors, twisted some speaker wire to the end and twisted the wire around the speaker posts. That ain't how you do speakers...

I fixed the speakers by putting spade connectors on the posts, I don't know where my soldering iron is currently so the wires are twisted together for now. The speakers are Skar brand and with them all working the burb sounds pretty good and gets obnoxiously loud, my new neighbors now know my music preferences lol. I need to buy new speakers for the rear since the installer put 4x6 in instead of 4x10's and they are tinny as hell. You can't hear them up front so they aren't a priority, I also want to add a sub out back as well.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next I started on the interior it wasn't bad to start but still needed a cleaning. Surprisingly Kaye has all the original GM floor mats.

She also had a lot of air freshers, 3 of those little blue square ones you get from the car wash and 7 bloody tree air fresheners. I think she needed more trees.

I put purple LED's in the doors when they were apart.
Before cleaning

After a little cleaning & detailing the interior has some shine back to it.

I fixed the passenger rear window since that didn't work. Someone broke the back of the connector out and bent the pins. Bent the pins back, plugged the connector in and wrapped it like a mummy with electrical tape so it doesn't pop back out.

After the interior was clean I put purple LED's in the cluster, A/C controls and set the head unit to purple to match the doors and the outside.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Dark Cherry Metallic and the bottom was originally Light Autumnwood Metallic but someone shot it black.

Man.... That was a fantastic factory combo....
Light Autumnwood Metallic is one of my all time favorite colors. And that Dark Cherry Metallic is awesome too.