1996 GMC Suburban "Kaye"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much trouble is it to get into the speaker housings and change them out? The ones on my Burb are going bad, so when the radio does work, can't really have it up very loud without distortion. How much do the Skar speakers cost? I've heard good things about them. Thanks!
They are all easy to swap out, for the front you take the door panels off and the factory speakers are held in with a clip. The rear doors, take a trim tool and pop the speaker grills off and the speakers are held in with push pins, for the rear ones I popped the fabric covers off with my hands and I imagine the stock speakers are held in with screws. The door speakers in the burb are Skar FSX65-8's which are 20$ a piece and the front tweeters are Skar TX-T which are 35$ for the set. The rears are Skar RPX46's which are 31$ for the set but I'm going to swap them for some Pioneer 4x10's. The rear door speakers are a tight fit and are a bit difficult to get all 4 push pins in. Also get the factory harness adapters, don't know the model number but they are a lot easier than soldering everything.

Last edited:

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night I started buffing on the paint, worked on it for too long but got the entire thing done. The roof and hood were the worst spots.
Comparison after one pass.
You must be registered for see images attach

I ended up going over the hood 4 times to get all the oxidation off, clogged the pads pretty quick but other than that it wasn't bad.

Got the wheels and bumpers polished out this afternoon and now she is done.

Need to get new mirrors since power only moves both up and down, and new fogs. Going to swap the bumper out for a rollpan soon so I can fit both 400's on one side of the garage and quit parking her outside.

Last edited:

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rotated my old mans tires this evening and when I was done I pulled all the wheels off Kaye to check tires and both front tires are shot, the inside of both are bulged out pretty bad. Going to see if I can get a set of nice used tires mounted this week. When the wheels were off I got a better look at the front end components. Pretty much everything needs to be replaced which is what I expected, with the exception of tie rods I don't think anything has been replaced. All the ball joints have the boots torn and have seen better days, the tie rods aren't far behind. She is going to get the full Moog treatment along with some new bushings when I get to the lowering phase. She is also going to get new brakes, the rotors are grooved to hell and I want to put ceramic pads on her like my other 400 as they make a big difference. I didn't check the drums but I'd guess they are like the fronts. After I get tires and tag her I'm going to do the brakes then I can start on some of the visual stuff.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Last night I started buffing on the paint, worked on it for too long but got the entire thing done. The roof and hood were the worst spots.
Comparison after one pass.

I ended up going over the hood 4 times to get all the oxidation off, clogged the pads pretty quick but other than that it wasn't bad.

Got the wheels and pumpers polished out this afternoon and now she is done.

Need to get new mirrors since power only moves both up and down, and new fogs. Going to swap the bumper out for a rollpan soon so I can fit both 400's on one side of the garage and quit parking her outside.

If BOTH mirrors only move up and down on the switch, I'd honestly look at a switch instead of mirrors.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If BOTH mirrors only move up and down on the switch, I'd honestly look at a switch instead of mirrors.
Didn't think of that, just went and tested the switch from my other truck, didn't work either. I pushed the mirror glass, it offers no resistance left/right, but has quite a bit up and down, strange. My guess is the mechanism inside is busted.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Didn't think of that, just went and tested the switch from my other truck, didn't work either. I pushed the mirror glass, it offers no resistance left/right, but has quite a bit up and down, strange. My guess is the mechanism inside is busted.

Well, I figured it was worth a shot! :cheers: