1996 gmc grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I found a bunch of pic of the hd hoods i have to say those look amazing completely changed my mind from cowl hood to hd hood ,i dont think fabricating it would be to bad . just need the shop now. and the tools.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
There's a member here that's done it. Just can't remember who that is.
IIRC the truck is burgundy/maroon. He did it once, then re-modded again to lay the front leading edge back a bit.
Most other GMT400's I've seen with this done kinda have a nose-heavy look, but that one that was done & shown here actually looked really good.
Anyone remember who this was that did this? Probably 6 months to a year ago.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Most of what I've seen are not HD hoods, ie. off a 3/4 ton with the plastic vents on the back of the hood. Here's a hood off of an 07-11 Chevy, non HD. This is what I'd like to do to mine at some point.

You must be registered for see images attach

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my favorite.

Another...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
There's a member here that's done it. Just can't remember who that is.
IIRC the truck is burgundy/maroon. He did it once, then re-modded again to lay the front leading edge back a bit.
Most other GMT400's I've seen with this done kinda have a nose-heavy look, but that one that was done & shown here actually looked really good.
Anyone remember who this was that did this? Probably 6 months to a year ago.

Actually, the guy you're thinking of didn't graft a newer skin on his hood. He cut the GMT400 hood and raised the center section. Then he fabricated the filler pieces to make it look like the raised hood.

Did an outstanding job. Outstanding metal bumping skills. I was very impressed and that doesn't happen very often, even with "professionals".

Can't remember his screen name either.

His came out about a 1000 times better than the grafting on of HD skin abortions that most guys do.

Still, not my cup o' tea though. The HD hoods on a gmt400 make them look like they're got downs syndrome...oversized forehead and all that jazz (no offense intended to anyone so afflicted or a family member with same).

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Well, let's be honest; that dually is in another league, and the hood looks :boobs: on that thing. That's what I was talking about Paul. Keeping the Chevy grill for doing that swap. I believe the newer hoods line up better with the Chevy clips, but I can't argue how it looks on that beast.