1996 Chevy Sierra build - SPOILER : ... It's the wrong title.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enitalp

Reaction score
My introduction : https://www.gmt400.com/threads/hi-all.57273/

So bought my K1500 yesterday, going to pick it up next week, on a trailer (start well ;p ) mostly because it have no license, and a broken windshield.
So first "mod" a license and a windshield.

I'm starting a list of things i want to do (ref my introduction thread).
So starting at the back.

Let's open the diff (only once i hope) with :
Remove the box and then :

Yukon Gear & Axle YK GM8.5-HD - Yukon Gear & Axle Master Overhaul Kits (summit)​

Moser Engineering A3088GMTK - Moser Engineering Replacement Alloy Axle Shafts (summit)​

Yukon Gear & Axle YDGGM8.5-3-30-1 - Yukon Gear & Axle Dura Grip Positraction Carrier (summit)​

Of course, new oil, new wheel studs, wheel nuts.​

A new fuel pump to support my LS3 (haven't decided the model yet, if somebody have an idea ?)​

Remove the rear drum for some disc brakes

And new suspension, and here i hit a wall, it feel very fuzzy for me.​

Here are my goals, i want to do it once, i want the best confort and handling possible, not gonna haul heavy stuff, not climbing mountain, paved road, some non paved but still "road". I'm not into the lift with big tire, more stock or slightly dropped with performance tire (and winter tire),
as i understand as it's a K and not a C i loose some option, like doing a full coil over QA1 build, so what can i do ? Just replace the actual shock with the best shock i can found (and still don't know what i should buy, too many options, that i don't understand, order by price and choose the most expensive option ?) I'm lost there, (back and front)

wanted a detroit truetrac as i did had one in my mustang, but summit website says it will not fit my car ? I'm surprised, if somebody can tell me why ?

The Resume of the build :​

Part 1. It's here ! https://www.gmt400.com/threads/1996-chevy-sierra-build.57275/post-1228859
Part 2. So it a girl not a boy ? https://www.gmt400.com/threads/1996-chevy-sierra-build.57275/post-1229144
Part 3. Bold statement from the author (c) Murply's law #whaterver https://www.gmt400.com/threads/1996-chevy-sierra-build.57275/post-1229146

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
wanted a detroit truetrac as i did had one in my mustang, but summit website says it will not fit my car ? I'm surprised, if somebody can tell me why ?

There is a TrueTrac differential available that will fit your truck (assuming it's a 10 bolt), but some websites seem to be confused by the application. I believe it's due to the fact that it requires different bearings and races for installation. Check the Eaton differential application guide here.

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...ormance-differential-application-guide-en.pdf

The part number for the TrueTrac you need for an 8.5/8.6" 10 bolt is 913A481, which has these installation notes:

"All Eaton differentials made for General Motors 8.5" and 8.6" axles require special bearings. For axles with small bearing bores (race O.D. or 2.89"), usually found on vehicles prior to 1999, bearing LM102949 and race LM102911 are required. For axles with large bearing bores (race O.D. of 3.06"), usually found on vehicles from 1999-2013, bearing LM603049 and race LM603012 are required. Manual locking hubs recommended for front axle applications."

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Enitalp

Reaction score
Got "the beast" today, now i need to register it, insure it, so i can do my first "mod" a new windshield as the current one is cracked everywhere.

I should go grab my "new" engine (an LM7 to be converted to LS3) next week.
Truck was shooted with "oil" as they like to do here in canada for winters, everywhere, you can touch it under the hood, or undercariage without having oil all over you, a lot of cleanup will be needed for the part that would stay on the truck, at least not that much ;p, but cleaning, sandblasting, painting will be done on part that stay there. Interior need a lot of cleaning, before the i change it too.

and yes it's the 4x4 long version. Silverado SL.

You must be registered for see images attach

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to get rid of those wheels…..;)
Jk. I just sold mine and bought a Lexus LS400. I’m going to sell the Lexus eventually and hope to buy another truck. But I blew my engine up.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo..... there's no such thing as a Chevy Sierra. It's either a GMC Sierra with a Chevy grille swapped in, or a Chevy Silverado with GMC Sierra stickers on the pillars.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Soooo..... there's no such thing as a Chevy Sierra. It's either a GMC Sierra with a Chevy grille swapped in, or a Chevy Silverado with GMC Sierra stickers on the pillars.
My guess is its the GMC with the Silverado grill. I'm picking up a 1997 GMC sierra tomorrow Will post some pictures when I get it.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
It states SL Sierra on the pillar though, however there is a ton of funky going on with the truck, chrome diesel front bumper, painted base(W/T) rear bumper, manual windows, W/T grille.