1996 Chevy Sierra build - SPOILER : ... It's the wrong title.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enitalp

Reaction score
I'm glad i'm not the one not understandings pictures i saw on the web with the description of the car, but i like what i saw, and knew i could do everything i wanted to do on it, with my parts search on the web, today i tried (and failed because of a stupid tax law ;p ) to register it to be able to go pick up my new engine as a first trip ;p (after the windshield of course) i saw the actual vin and details in its official papers (and i don't care that it's not what was described as a 95 chevy sierra, that i could not match to anything in reality is in fact on paper, a 1990 GMC Sierra !! what a shocker ;p i love the truck i have , don't care, and that will settle one thing on my project, the grid and the emblem that as coming from europe like more, a Red GMC logo in the middle. and yes i know could have checked before the sell, but from the photos, the parts searched, and the truck i saw it was enough for me, even if would knew then it was what it was, the car and the prize is exactly what i've wanted ;p

So consider the thread renamed 1990 GMC Sierra resto mods

Enitalp

Reaction score
and yes it will be my daily in a coming time (so i need to finish it, and in time), summer and winter in canada ;p

"a princess with no bad hair day" if you understand the joke applied and are not offensed , i use it as a comparison, not a statement ;p

Enitalp

Reaction score
Know when i think of the front bumper slightly not at the correct position and pivoted a little (unless it was born like that at the time) may indicated a clue , an impact in the front, breaking the grid, and somebody replaced it with the first one matching for the price or any reason in some part of its past life, she is sensible about it, it seam, she doesn't want to talk about it, we will never know...

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if it's really a 90, then someone has done a dash swap for you already. But I'd be suspicious if the airbags in the wheel and dash would be working. Looks like a great project you have. Good luck.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's been some fiddling going on if the VIN shows that it's a 90...I'd definitely have the airbags checked out.

That said, as long as you're happy with her, take her out! Her hair will be done soon enough...

Enitalp

Reaction score
Finaly after some work, go my evaluation paper to be able to register it. So i paid 170 CAD$ to have a paper that state that my truck is worth for the taxes office, 150$, so now i can go pay my 15% taxes on the 150$ to get my license.... This week end is busy, but next a trip to the carglass to change that puzzle of a windshield.

Then i will go grab my engine (LM7) , so i can start the conversion rebuild to a LS3, during that time, i will pick up parts for the truck, because of order of operation , would be easier for me to mount is in the air one time, remove all the old, remove fender grid, motor etc... sand, plaint, rebuild.

Will go with Stock height, (because of K1500) standard suspension, stlightly upgraded (if anybody have a better solution, no lift, small drop, best money can buy in ride quality suspension for a K1500) , Disk caliper, pad front and rear, new brake line, fully breaded everywhere (much simpler) (same, bolt on big brake kit in front or a K1500 ?)

Eveything new, and painted, Drive train, supsension, direction, new engine, then new bumpers , grid, light, and then interior.

I will be part the LM7, machine it, rebuilt as a LS3 530 ish hp. when it would start outside the car, time to strip down the car and put everything in it.

Front Suspension , Rear Suspension,
Front brake, Ride height, would depend of what people would share.
Bet confort (road), stock, or little drop, works on a K1500.
Dual caliper in front.

Open to idea.

Enitalp

Reaction score
Long time no see ! Life...

So i received some part for my trucks, they are not the one going first, but hey, parts is parts.

So today i went and changed the windshield and wipers. Shiny new.
You must be registered for see images attach

For those who look attentively, they can notice my second mod of the day, mid engine conversion .....

In fact i've made my first 350km with my truck to go grab an LM7, aka sierra 2002, V8 5.2L complete with everything..... more than i need as i will mostly keep 4 or 5 parts in total (if you exclude some bolt)

You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah the brake pedal is horrible and braking is weak ( i have the parts....)
Mirrors, if not tighten enough they move, i spend all my trips with the conductor mirror looking at anything interesting, One of the last owner totally deconnected or killed the rear lights, i knew that i didn't had a license plate light (ordered) but no brakes no flasher, yup not, at least i already orderer them + more.
Until 90km/h )55/50 it's ok, after there is mostly nothing, down shift for 2 secs then upshift in 4th, and then nothing, maintaining 60mph 100km/h on the highway here, was a challenge, empty or with the engine, yeah verified before, brake fluid is new, oil too, did top of a little, but no trace of leak, air filter is new and clean (that make us go to a question later), i feel a lot of engine brake in 4th, if i lift my speed goes down fast. until it reach the 3rd gear. in 1st i'm doing burnout , and when on with an idle at 800, it goes like crazy if i don't handle the brake, never had a car like that.

For sure there is some gremlins there, but i don't care for engine and trans, before engine transplant an trans (another question) i will do just 5 6 km to my home depot for working on the house and garden.

So yeah concerning engines,
Yeah the lm7 will be totally disassembled, by yours truly. to keep the block, the head 862, would have prefer 706, he, for 400$ CAD i will not complain. So block, heads and crankshaft the rest i don't need. maybe flexplate. all that goes to a machine shop (6 secs car machine shop) near me for cleanup, make sure that the cylinders are clean, little this and that, port the heads, balance the cranckshaft, and give it to me or not, so i can buy the proper set of internals fitting my machined block to be balanced also, so i will have to keep the order or each part per cylinder as it was balanced when putting back the engine together, ls3 at around 530 all motors, with "cheap" part , not breaking the bank to get this or that, i may add a supercharger for the sound, low psi, as i already have enough hp (yeah i know, but don't forget i have to spend 5 months a year under snow in canada). and it's my daily.
And concerning the old one.... My GMC have a Chevy's badge front grid and headlight from something, my 90 have at least the interior door of a 95+ from what i see, not sure about the dash yet. And today i went to change the airfilter, went to the airfilter shop (silly of me) asked for a V6 90 gmc 4.3l k1500 air filter, show me on the computer, open the hood, look at my filter, that's not good, and again it's strange.
So V6 from 90 seems to have the donut one, mine have the cylinder one, on the left i don't really care as i will remove everything, but that puzzle me, like i have abs ! there is an abs module installed poorly in the car. so that change the type of front disk i spindle etcc
as i need the abs version in the hub i think. and now i'm afraid about by read disk conversion kit i bought.

for the dash i need to check because i will need to replace it for the same year ;p
I may want to do the power window conversion, and yeah my car doesn't have ac. when we are not under snow it's 36c (86/97) here.
Would have to redo it with the new engine, but there i have missing part ;p

So question about the 4L80 that we have in our models, i know i can bring it to a shop and have it rebuild to handle 800 hp it will cost me at minimum 1500 2000$cad i think, or should i buy a stage3 good for 950 from a trans builder for 3200USD ?