1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Nice Truck interesting to see how your Burb's life compares with mine with 308k miles...yours is much nicer.
Thanks! Even though my burb has 173k on the clock, it's seen its fair share of use over the years. Been hauling loads of people and trailers for almost it's whole life. After an entire drivetrain swap she's ready to take on whatever we throw at her!
___________________________________________________________________________________

This just came in the mail today, couldn't be more excited to throw it on the truck. Unfortunately it'll have to wait until the weekend.
You must be registered for see images attach

Curt

Reaction score
Sneak preview of the rear discs installed:

Haven't had much luck getting 100% of the air out of the system. Apparently the bleeder valve should be at the 12 o'clock position. Makes it a tricky situation for me. Once I get pictures showing what I mean and get these brakes bled, I'll give my .02 on them.

Curt

Reaction score
Just posted a thread about the rear discs if anyone's curious: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/so-y...-kit-heres-my-02-tips-and-tricks-guide.49226/

So yeah, rear discs are finally 100% working with the parking brake. Was an adventure to get here, but it's finally over with.

Brakes aside, been keeping busy with other projects. I installed a Autometer trans temp gauge which I've always wanted. Took a lot of cutting but I got it to fit and look like it came from factory. Never seen anyone mount this gauge in this spot before so that's pretty cool.

and it works!

Stoked to finally have a gauge to monitor my 4L65e. Hopefully this one lasts a good long while now that I can keep an eye on it.

Finally, I got the last of the cheap china door handles off the truck. They all started flaking off and the gasket surrounding the handle looked plain awful. Replaced all of em with brand new OEM ones.

Old, take a look at the bottom left of the handle gasket:

New (much better!!):

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just posted a thread about the rear discs if anyone's curious: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/so-y...-kit-heres-my-02-tips-and-tricks-guide.49226/

So yeah, rear discs are finally 100% working with the parking brake. Was an adventure to get here, but it's finally over with.

Brakes aside, been keeping busy with other projects. I installed a Autometer trans temp gauge which I've always wanted. Took a lot of cutting but I got it to fit and look like it came from factory. Never seen anyone mount this gauge in this spot before so that's pretty cool.

and it works!

Stoked to finally have a gauge to monitor my 4L65e. Hopefully this one lasts a good long while now that I can keep an eye on it.

Finally, I got the last of the cheap china door handles off the truck. They all started flaking off and the gasket surrounding the handle looked plain awful. Replaced all of em with brand new OEM ones.

Old, take a look at the bottom left of the handle gasket:

New (much better!!):

Always wondered if a gauge would fit in that spot, I like it......

Where did you find the OEM handles? I have CoronavirusLand interior and exterior handles sitting in a box and just looking at them I'm regretting having bought them......

Curt

Reaction score
Always wondered if a gauge would fit in that spot, I like it......

Where did you find the OEM handles? I have CoronavirusLand interior and exterior handles sitting in a box and just looking at them I'm regretting having bought them......
Thanks! It took a lot of cutting to make it fit, but nothing I wasn't expecting. You can also see the gauge cluster needed a little clearancing as well. Dremel was definitely needed for that project haha.

I found all the interior and exterior door handles on eBay. Just looked up the part numbers for each handle and searched daily. Took a little while to gather all of them but well worth the amount I saved. I spent ~$30/ea for NOS handles.

I would advise against installing those China-made handles. They will fry your fingers after parking under the summer sun and overall just are terrible. OEM is the way to go if you can find em for a decent price.

Curt

Reaction score
Looks like a new truck with that headunit! Looks good. :waytogo:

Thanks! It sure feels like a new truck haha, Apple CarPlay is where it’s at. Definitely a huge move in the right direction, not having to hold my phone when using Google Maps is worth it’s weight in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk