1996 Chevrolet K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Man awesome work on the suburban looks great and glad to see it coming along
Thanks! I love my burb to death. She gets upset at times but definitely none of those tantrums are unwarranted. I see you're following my 4L65e cooling thread so that's the next big project haha.

Curt

Reaction score

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Curt

Reaction score
Where did you get the suburban bracket for the LP????
My dad and I had to fabricate mounting brackets for both the thermostat and the cooler. Just had some spare aluminum and bolts laying around for the thermostat bracket and chopped the factory cooler bracket to mount the cooler. The cooler also came with two flimsy, universal mounting pieces made out of thin sheet metal. We did end up using both for other reasons. One was used to keep the cooler lines off the AC condenser, the other one was used to keep the cooler off the AC condenser as well. Neither was used for mounting but rather a support, if you will, to keep stuff off other things. Not load bearing by any means, I wouldn't trust that metal to hold up the cooler, too flimsy. Also when possible we used factory holes to tap threads or put screws.

I would've included the steps to mount the cooler and thermostat but it's so specific that including such details would be almost useless. It's really just a matter of cutting, test fitting, and fabricating til you get it just right. The mounts are very sturdy as well and have seen 100+ MPH speeds (on a closed course with a professional driver ofc ;))

EDIT: I might add that all of this was done with minimal cutting to the painted lower grill valence and ZERO cutting to the OEM grill. Extremely happy with the outcome and couldn't have mounted it any more perfect.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's awesome. Lol. I'll have to keep that in mind whenever I go bigger with the cooler.:) What about the license plate bracket? I love the font and style?

Curt

Reaction score
That's awesome. Lol. I'll have to keep that in mind whenever I go bigger with the cooler.:) What about the license plate bracket? I love the font and style?
The license plate bracket is the factory one! Been there since the truck rolled off the lot in ‘96 haha. As for the license plate frame, @98chevy2500SS posted it below. I got that 5 years ago on my 15th birthday and it’s held up pretty well. The top of the frame has faded but the lettering is still is great shape! Just a little FYI, I did have to clearance the inside corners of the license plate bracket to fit the frame. It won’t fit otherwise.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk