1995 7.4 454 glowing exaust manifolds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Does the ECM have a screwed-up "tune"?

Does the electronic timing advance work? Doesn't matter if the initial timing is correct if the computer never adds any advance.

A new damper could have the wrong timing mark. This is an issue on small-blocks, there's at least two configurations for timing mark, they're 13-degrees different if I remember correctly. I don't know if there's multiple configurations for BBC timing marks on the damper, or timing indicator position.

What is the cranking compression pressure? If it's reasonable, the cam is "probably" timed correctly. If not, cam timing error is a possibility.

How does THAT happen?

The old 366/427 tall-deck "Truck" engines used to make the exhaust glow under load--that was normal for an under-powered engine in a bigass, overloaded farm truck. Those engines also had a ginormous water pump, and TWO normal-sized thermostats in the intake manifold, leading to a double-sized upper radiator hose, for massive coolant flow.
Could be we havent looked in that far. So i dunno

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Only thing I can think is spec'd for no on road use, federal mandates don't apply, Farm use, probably certain gov. entities, vehicles that spend their life on the tarmac, shipping ports, other industrial uses,etc. At one time you could order them anyway you want. These days everything down to the lawnmower and weedeater need to be EPA compliant snd headed towards EV. lol
Im not sure. Im gonna do some research on it tonight. Because it came factory no cats.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has an older Ford 3/4-ton, '92, maybe, with a sticker on the rad shroud saying it's somehow exempt from having catalysts. I guess it was a farm truck used on stubble fields, off-road; and the cats were a fire hazard. He's not the original owner, the sticker could be a phony for all I know.

I don't know how a person would go about buying a truck like that.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Buddy of mine has an older Ford 3/4-ton, '92, maybe, with a sticker on the rad shroud saying it's somehow exempt from having catalysts. I guess it was a farm truck used on stubble fields, off-road; and the cats were a fire hazard. He's not the original owner, the sticker could be a phony for all I know.

I don't know how a person would go about buying a truck like that.
:shrug:

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
some tbi truck have vacuum and emissions info on the air cleaner base and some have it on the radiator shroud here is an example I know it is not the best picture but the info is on that white sticker
You must be registered for see images attach

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Just found it rpo (NA5) Emission system federal teir 0

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just found it rpo (NA5) Emission system federal teir 0
Yep - RPO NA5 - EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL, TIER 0

In the "RPO Master List" there are 85 results on the search term "emission"

The VIN you posted decodes to a 1995 Chevy K3500 4 door with the TBI 7.4, built in Flint MI - whose truck? Or just an example of a spid label you found that has that particular RPO?

Richard

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Yep - RPO NA5 - EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL, TIER 0

In the "RPO Master List" there are 85 results on the search term "emission"

The VIN you posted decodes to a 1995 Chevy K3500 4 door with the TBI 7.4, built in Flint MI - whose truck? Or just an example of a spid label you found that has that particular RPO?

Richard
Its my dads truck.