1994 Z71 pickup need help guys ---opinions on crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys im looking into replacing my leaking tired stock 350 in my 94 single cab auto z71 for my christmas present this year to myself. I've seen jegs and summits prices but was wondering has anyone bought one/ anybody have anywhere else they know that offers free shipping and at their prices? I dont really want to mod the motor out or nothing u know I just want a good running stock motor for my DD truck ( i might go wit hteh efan mod someday but not much else). I plan on pulling the motor and cleaning up my engine bay (grease/oil crap), so I'm going to presuure wash and spray it black and then drop in my engine. i also seen like in the jegs and summit books the offer the 2 bolt main 200hp 12568758 for $1779 the 4 bolt main 12520270 190hp for $2050, so which to go with??? ..........thanks in advance guys

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its hard to go wrong with the GM Goodwrench crate motors, last one I saw was a vortec "rebuild" but looked ALL new. And 3 yr 100k warranty through GM. Keep your records and in 2.5 years it goes bad and you don't have time to fix it, make the dealership do it. It's my plan if I need to replace an engine and maybe trans in the 94.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your should get yourself one of those L31 350 vortec motors. Get a vortec carb intake and slap on an adapter to run your throttle body.

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a GM Goodwrench 350. It's the L31-R, which is a 4-bolt main engine. I ordered it from Jegs, and it came with an Accel ignition system, spark plugs, and gaskets for headers and intake.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up a Blueprint 383 TBI crate engine from Summit for my 1990. 285 horse/405 torque, 4 bolt main block, ported TBI heads, Edelbrock Performer TBI intake. It dropped right in and came with a chip to make it run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevyjack

Reaction score
I would love to put this engine in my 95.. Noticeable difference over your stock 350? When you put new chip in, did everything work? no other things needed. I hear people all the time that have dealt with TBIchips, saying their tune wasn't right, and had to deal with it for weeks/months

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would love to put this engine in my 95.. Noticeable difference over your stock 350? When you put new chip in, did everything work? no other things needed. I hear people all the time that have dealt with TBIchips, saying their tune wasn't right, and had to deal with it for weeks/months

The 383 was a huge difference over the stock 350. Although at the time of the swap, the 350 had 2 dead cylinders (no compression) so anything would have been an improvement. I had a local shop do the install because they quoted me an awesome price and I was pressed for time anyway. They said the motor dropped right in, everything from the 350 bolted to it, and it fired right up. The chip is a tune put together by Blueprint to run the motor while leaving everything with the TBI system stock. It ran ok, but I felt it could be improved upon. I started looking around on Gearhead EFI's forums and figured out how to burn my own chips. Now I'm running 80# injectors, 18 psi fuel pressure, deleted the EGR, and cleaned up the fuel and spark tables. I feel like it runs even stronger than with the Blueprint chip. Next mod will be a complete big block TBI swap but I need to track one down and have the intake holes bored out to 2".

FIREBALL 94

Bowtie enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol good ideas but I just want a good engine to drop in and be done with it though the vortec motor with the vortec intake and Tbi adapter idea does sound interesting....idk I'm at my wits end trying to decide

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
See what your local Chevy dealer will do to cut you a deal on a goodwrench crate engine. You may be surprised on what they quote for a price.