1993 gmc sierra 2500 5.0L any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They were optional. The diffs in my 1500 came from a TBI 6 lug 2500.

Ok, cool. I didn't know.

My brother swapped a 14 bolt 6 lug into his C1500. His was 3.73/G80. I think he said it came from a '96 or '97? I didn't even know they made those trucks that late.

Damn GM for coming out with all these confusing 2500LD, 2500...and earlier 1/2 ton, heavy half, etc...and later 1500, 1500HD, 2500LD, 2500HD. What the crap!

Well, maybe they were looking out for us old school guys swapping parts at will, lol!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, cool. I didn't know.

My brother swapped a 14 bolt 6 lug into his C1500. His was 3.73/G80. I think he said it came from a '96 or '97? I didn't even know they made those trucks that late.

Damn GM for coming out with all these confusing 2500LD, 2500...and earlier 1/2 ton, heavy half, etc...and later 1500, 1500HD, 2500LD, 2500HD. What the crap!

Well, maybe they were looking out for us old school guys swapping parts at will, lol!

I suspect the Vortec trucks got stingy with the 4.10s, but I can't substantiate that.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Up here, thats a maybe maybe 800 dollar truck.
Dont buy that **** wagon. If they wont even bother cleaning the mud out of it to try and sell the damn thing you can pretty well bet that they havent changed the oil or anything else on it.
Its for sale because it has never been maintained and something or many somethings are seriously wrong with it.
And its a 305.
Dont buy a 305 when you can buy a 350.
The only thing of any value on that truck is the utility bed unless its all jacked up too.
And the other part of this.
I know a few cops in a few states and they do profile you based on what you are driving.
An old vehicle that is clean and looks good? Thats just a guy on his way to work.
An old vehicle that looks like ****?
Thats a tweaker.
And we do the same thing in construction.
When I hire people the first thing I look at is not the bullshit resume.
I look at their car.
Any dope can put on a cheap suit and try to feed me some "team player" bullshit.
I want to see what goes on in your life when you arent trying to bullshit me.
And your car will tell me all about you.
And I also look at your fingernails.
If you are driving some old piece of **** but it is clean and not full of garbage?
And your fingers are all chewed up because you scrubbed the hell out of them to try and impress me?
That is exactly what will impress me.
That little thing shows some dedication.
That proves to me that you have put the effort into yourself and that you are serious about this job
I dont want to make it seem like some kind of a beauty pageant.
Far from it.
Put your money into a better truck.
A truck you can rely on for the next couple of years.
Keep it clean as hell at all times.
Inside amd outside.
get into the habit of writing notes and reminders.
Dont use the phone for this.
At the end of every day and all through the day,
write down any thing that needs to be done.
When you get into the habit of doing this, not only do you get to sleep at night but your subconious will work on it while you are sleeping.
Because you have trained your mind to allow you to sleep while it does the thinking

This you should do. Its just a little trick to keep you going and keep you from having a stress heart attack or a stroke

Also really common.
And, my last unasked for piece of advice that Im gonna spew out anyway is this.
Always, always, always answer the phone.
Night or day .
Always be the guy who answers the phone.
Often times its bad news, doesnt matter you have to deal with it anyway.
Sometimes its a project guy who got caught out and his boss wants a number monday morning.
And every other dope blows him off untill monday.
But you answered the phone Friday night and saved him from an ass chewing.
It might be nothing, it might be some whining.
But sometimes, if you just answer the damn phone.
Its a 12.5 milion dollar contract.
Yeah you are probably right.
I am just pretty desperate. I may just have to borrow my boss's [emoji90] of a 1991 f350 and continue breaking down all the time.
One of these days I really need to find something I can afford to work on.

I was just chuckling to myself that the only calls I ignore are friends. [emoji1787]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much crap will you be putting in this truck? Because that 6 lug will have a weak ass 4L60. Gutless as the 5.0 may be in stock form, it'll still take an ass beating.
That is a deal breaker.[emoji3525]
I have a ton of tools and parts.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Look for an 8 lug 2500 or a single wheel 3500. If you don't need the capacity of a dually 3500 then definitely stay away from the 3500 HD as well. They're tough as nails but used ones are often worked to death. Buying new 19.5" tires will break the bank, too. Even crappy Chinese tires are expensive when you're talking 19.5's.

Richard

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a deal breaker.[emoji3525]
I have a ton of tools and parts.

I dont know where you are and I dont know your budget but Im pretty sure you can find a better truck than that crusty turd.
A 305 isnt a work truck. Its a lawnmower truck.
You can do better than that and buy a truck that helps you instead of a truck that hurts you.
Dont buy a truck because its cheap.
Buy a truck because its up to the job and it will do the job.
Whatever you buy, dont buy that thing.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont know where you are and I dont know your budget but Im pretty sure you can find a better truck than that crusty turd.
A 305 isnt a work truck. Its a lawnmower truck.
You can do better than that and buy a truck that helps you instead of a truck that hurts you.
Dont buy a truck because its cheap.
Buy a truck because its up to the job and it will do the job.
Whatever you buy, dont buy that thing.
Yeah I would blow a 4l60e in 5 minutes in that truck. I don't mind gutless but it better be durable.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah you are probably right.
I am just pretty desperate. I may just have to borrow my boss's [emoji90] of a 1991 f350 and continue breaking down all the time.
One of these days I really need to find something I can afford to work on.

I was just chuckling to myself that the only calls I ignore are friends. [emoji1787]

Yep. If they dont have enough ambition to at least clean the mud out of it in order to try and sell it?
They sure as hell didnt bother maintaining it.
I know, its profiling and thats just wrong.
But these people are lazy as **** and you might just catch a disease off of that bacteria parade float.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. If they dont have enough ambition to at least clean the mud out of it in order to try and sell it?
They sure as hell didnt bother maintaining it.
I know, its profiling and thats just wrong.
But these people are lazy as **** and you might just catch a disease off of that bacteria parade float.
Yeah that is pretty common on that auction site.
It seems to be where people send vehicles when they just want to be done with them