1993 GMC C1500 New engine - fuel pump question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SKFengineer

Reaction score
As the title says I'm installing a new engine in my 1993 C1500 that will make an estimated 350 - 370 hp. I know from reading everything that increased fuel pressure and a new upgraded fuel pump will be required. From the performance thread in the sticky's on this forum it seems the TPI third gen F-body pump is one of my options.

Has anyone used this pump, I'm wondering if the electrical connection, ie: plug and wire pigtail is the same as the stock TBI pump. Looking at pictures online it seems they could be similar but I would really like to know before I drop the tank and realize I need to order a new pump and it will take a few days.

Thanks

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Notsure on the tpi pump but a ton of us use the vortec pumps....

Yes the connectors are the same(on the vortec ones anyways)..

sent from what use to be a great country...

SKFengineer

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Does it matter what year Vortec truck pump I get... as an example I assume if I just go in and ask for a fuel pump that fits in a 1997 C1500 with a 350 I should be fine? Just out of curiosity, what is the stock fuel pressure for a Vortec motor.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure on the vortec pressure but it is way more then the tbi needs... the tbi stock (or modified)fuel pressure regulator takes care of it though.. but any year vortec will do... do your self a favor and get the "ac delco" one.. the part number if I remember correctly is an "ep381" and do not forget the strainer for it too....

SKFengineer

Reaction score
Yes I have an adjustable fuel pressure regular on my truck now so my question about the pressure was mostly out of curiosity not concern. The fuel pump I currently have for a TPI car is a Delphi unit from NAPA but it's still in it's sealed bag so hopefully I can return the unit. I'll call the GM parts guy on Monday and check on the AC Delco. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to replace the original fuel pump in my 98 Vortec 350 truck last fall. Apparently they are prone to failure, and this one had only 85,000 miles or thereabouts. I had an AC Delco (Delphi) installed, not cheap though.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are about 100 bucks.... then unbolt truck bed undo a couple electrical connectors and lift it up and back... rest the front of the wheel well opening on the tire and rear of bed on bumper.... grab a couple friends to help lift it up outta the way... last one I did (mine) only took an hour to do.....

olered98

Reaction score
And you can buy a whole unit for the vortec set up like i did for about $47 buck canadian.....probably $30 usd....and its same as ac delco...and runs just as good and for just as long without the $400 price tag.....or you can buy just pump and reuse sending unit.....pump is the same for fords....chevs....dodge...and most other cars just different sending units....

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm swapped my TBI pump for an EP381. Its feeding a 300 hp 383 with 80# injectors and an 18 psi regulator spring. It's easy to install and works great.