1992 7.4 Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When cam-less engine technology hits the market EV will disappear.
Wait a minute. We've had cam-less engines for years. They're called two strokers. The slobbering jimmy was a diesel but it did have a cam. Now use that same basic piston port design with forced induction and the cam can go away. Now we add high pressure direct cylinder fuel injection. Now you have an engine that weighs 2/3 the weight,produces twice the torque with no valvetrain drag. Wonder why a design like that is not in production now?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apologies in advance for derailing the thread even further...

Koenigsegg (Swedish supercar manufacturer) have been producing camless four stroke engines for a few years now I think, they call it "Freevalve." The valves are actuated by what they call "electro-hydraulic-pneumatic actuators." Pretty cool IMO.

https://www.freevalve.com/

FourEightZero

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When cam-less engine technology hits the market EV will disappear.

I've been seeing videos on YT about this engine for a while. It hasn't made it to market yet, I imagine they're still trying to work out kinks... but it looks neat, simple, and powerful.

Achates 3cyl opposed piston engine. 2 stroke, no valvetrain.

They claim their 2.7L puts out 270HP/480ft-lbs

Also, apparently this type of ICE has already existed for over a century. I'd like to put one in a truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opposed piston?

Take a look at youtube videos for the English Napier Deltic 88 liter Diesel two-stroke triangle engine as used in ships and locomotives. Two crankshafts rotate the same direction, the third rotates backwards. 18 cylinders, but 36 pistons--like three V-12s mating.

Example:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been seeing videos on YT about this engine for a while. It hasn't made it to market yet, I imagine they're still trying to work out kinks... but it looks neat, simple, and powerful.

They claim their 2.7L puts out 270HP/480ft-lbs

Also, apparently this type of ICE has already existed for over a century. I'd like to put one in a truck.
You must be registered for see images attach
The Achates engine I think was swallowed up by the military and is therefore unlikely to see commercial sales. Auto manufacturers in any case are moving from ICE to electrification so are unlikely to commit to developing new (to them) ICEs such as 2T and opposed piston 2T. They should have done this years ago as the warning from the 1960s was that 2T would have to be revisited when NOx emissions became problematic. 2T is inherently low in NOx due to internal EGR (less than perfect scavenging) and the same torque and power as a 4T can be attained at half the BMEP (courtesy of twice the amount of firing strokes).

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Coates was prototyping spherical rotary valve heads on Ford short-blocks thirty-something years ago.
www.coatesengine.com/csrv-system.htm
That looks a lot like the system developed by Australian company Bishop. The story goes that (in recent times) it was to be used in Formula 1 - then just before its adoption by whatever team, it was banned by the FIA. Could just be a story, but definitely there was a lot of press for Bishop's version.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait a minute. We've had cam-less engines for years. They're called two strokers. The slobbering jimmy was a diesel but it did have a cam. Now use that same basic piston port design with forced induction and the cam can go away. Now we add high pressure direct cylinder fuel injection.
The problem though, is that none of the direct injection systems are perfect. They all struggle to atomise the fuel in the allotted time available. This will be exacerbated with low-volatility bio-fuels (ICE's only chance of survival IMO). There's a book on the subject here >> https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Injection_and_Emission_in_Two-Stroke_Engines
Diesel combustion circumvents that but at the cost of the usual diesel combustion limitations.
Now you have an engine that weighs 2/3 the weight,produces twice the torque with no valvetrain drag. Wonder why a design like that is not in production now?
Because of the immense prejudice against 2T and auto manufacturer's reluctance to deviate from 4T. There's an expression that goes: 'Give the 2T engine to the 4T guy and watch him **** it up''. Probably true. Understanding the 2T engine as an orifice engine for someone schooled only in wheeze, squeeze, please and wheeze is a stretch.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rotary engine was an offshoot of the rotary pump, not the rotary valve. Rotary engines are fantastically efficient and reliable when set up to run a constant rpm, but cars require dynamic rpm. They are pretty good in racing, though, because they love boost.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rotary engine was an offshoot of the rotary pump,
Was it not the other way around? Wankel IIRC had a prototype that had the engine 'block' spinning before settling on the final arrangement - which was his invention with pumps subsequently cribbed from it - no?
not the rotary valve. Rotary engines are fantastically efficient and reliable when set up to run a constant rpm, but cars require dynamic rpm.
The heat loss due to the large (and moving) surface area of the combustion chamber intrudes on efficiency though.

They are pretty good in racing, though, because they love boost.
Love boost - or are particularly adept at spooling up a turbine due to the absence of an exhaust valve in the path of the outgoing exhaust stream and very quick port opening?