1992 7.4 Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unburned fuel is unburned fuel is fuel wasted. Unless there's a supplementary source of ignition between the port and the turbo, that unburned fuel is lost.
Part of the reason uncorked rotaries are so loud is that some fuel leaves the engine unburned and that fuel is still burning in the exhaust. That burning fuel is lost when the engine is naturally aspirated, but when you bolt on a turbo it's using those burning gases to turn the turbo. You can put pretty massive turbos on pretty small rotary engines, and they have no problem spooling them.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Felix Wankel patented and produced a rotary pump in the 1930s. Being an engineer he immediately realized it could be used as an engine, and in the 1950s he joined NSU and started work on it.

The long, moving combustion chamber is a detriment to efficiency, but a rotary engine in a stable rpm works great. I'm kinda surprised Mazda hasn't made a rotary hybrid vehicle. Back in the '80s the military commissioned Racing Beat to build a generator prototype, but I think that went away when they switched to a single fuel.

What does an exhaust valve have to do with it? The port serves the same function. Nobody says the Detroit Diesel turbos well because it doesn't have an exhaust valve. A more accurate statement would be that the long combustion chamber in a rotary causes more fuel to go unburned, and that a turbo recaptures that. You are correct that the ports mean more charge flow at points where a piston engine would be struggling to safely ramp a valve open or closed.
Pinger hit on the breathing aspects of reciprocating valves. The other theory is the power loss of driving the valve train. Less power loss within the engine means more power to the rear wheels. The idea is to strive for the best engine efficiency you can get and eliminating the cam,lifters,valves,maybe push rods and especially the springs helps do that. 2 cycle means power on every downstroke without valvetrain drag. The Detroit almost gets there but still has to deal with those aggravating reciprocating valves and all the pieces to work them. If I could get my hands on a V671 Detroit I'd drop that in ol Smoky in half a heartbeat.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Part of the reason uncorked rotaries are so loud is that some fuel leaves the engine unburned and that fuel is still burning in the exhaust. That burning fuel is lost when the engine is naturally aspirated, but when you bolt on a turbo it's using those burning gases to turn the turbo. You can put pretty massive turbos on pretty small rotary engines, and they have no problem spooling them.
I hear what you're saying, but I'm still more inclined toward the straight shot from the trochoid (or cylinder in the case of 2T) to turbo being what the turbo likes. It is a significant contrast to having to wait for an exhaust valve to open, worm a route around it, then negotiate a close to 90 degree bend.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pinger hit on the breathing aspects of reciprocating valves. The other theory is the power loss of driving the valve train. Less power loss within the engine means more power to the rear wheels. The idea is to strive for the best engine efficiency you can get and eliminating the cam,lifters,valves,maybe push rods and especially the springs helps do that. 2 cycle means power on every downstroke without valvetrain drag. The Detroit almost gets there but still has to deal with those aggravating reciprocating valves and all the pieces to work them. If I could get my hands on a V671 Detroit I'd drop that in ol Smoky in half a heartbeat.
The opposed piston configuration gives the benefits of uni-flow scavenging without the valves that Detroit Diesel used. In 1925 Fiat had a six cylinder gasoline OP engine that made 150hp from its 1.5 litres. A variation on the theme that avoids the practical difficulties of OP is the split single (aka Twingle) which in essence is an OP engine bent double in the middle such that a single crankshaft can be used. There were a few smallish ones in production in Europe in the previous century deployed in small motorcycles and with the more advanced materials we now have, could be viable again as a homogenously charged (avoiding the complication of direct fuel injection) engine IMO.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A variation on the theme that avoids the practical difficulties of OP is the split single (aka Twingle) which in essence is an OP engine bent double in the middle such that a single crankshaft can be used.
???

I thought the "Twingles" were set-up so that both cylinders had intake and exhaust valves, the crankshaft was set up so that the pistons moved together like a 360-degree Twin, except the two cylinder's valve trains moved simultaneously so that both pistons had power strokes at the same time.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your comment about dropping a Detroit Diesel into your truck reminded me of this video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Super sanitary machine. And starting at ~ the 3:15 mark there's that unmistakable siren song...

Riding around in something like that would turn everyday errands into making memories
that would stay with you a long, long time. Nice.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your comment about dropping a Detroit Diesel into your truck reminded me of this video:

Super sanitary machine. And starting at ~ the 3:15 mark there's that unmistakable siren song...

Riding around in something like that would turn everyday errands into making memories
that would stay with you a long, long time. Nice.
Damn! I've got to get the sound fixed on this POS laptop. It's a purdy thing but I couldn't hear it and that's the best part of a Detroit. And they pull like a team of mules. Only thing sounds better than a V6 Jimmy is a V12 but I think the V6 sounds even more pissed off.
I'll have to find that vid on my stupid phone.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn! I've got to get the sound fixed on this POS laptop. It's a purdy thing but I couldn't hear it and that's the best part of a Detroit. And they pull like a team of mules. Only thing sounds better than a V6 Jimmy is a V12 but I think the V6 sounds even more pissed off.
I'll have to find that vid on my stupid phone.

Run, don't walk, to the nearest home theater setup (friend, Best Buy, or IMAX theater?)
with an internet feed. This way you would be sure do the subject matter proper justice.
FWIW, the maker of the video did a better than average job recording it.

Definitely Call of the Wild material -- go get an earful asap! :)

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
???

I thought the "Twingles" were set-up so that both cylinders had intake and exhaust valves, the crankshaft was set up so that the pistons moved together like a 360-degree Twin, except the two cylinder's valve trains moved simultaneously so that both pistons had power strokes at the same time.
You have it spot on but for the valves. Invariably split-single engines (ignore the Scuderi split-single - it's a different animal) are piston ported and as such have the benefits of opposed piston engines namely a large spacing between inlet and exhaust ports (to minimise charge loss) and, the full circumference of each cylinder for said ports - unlike loopers and cross-flows which have to share the circumference. They (split-singles) can also, like OPs, be configured with asymmetric port timings and - I think - with less torsional vibration issues than OPs. Both (OP and SS) permit long strokes (good for 2T) but without the colossal piston speed of a single piston - and the difficulty of con-rod clearance at the cylinder's base.
Pic below shows two arrangements. Many more are possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised Mazda hasn't made a rotary hybrid vehicle.
Seems it has... or rather, it has used a rotary as a range extender in an EV. Pretty much what Audi proposed but abandoned.

Skip to 1m50s to skip the history lesson.