1992 7.4 Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run, don't walk, to the nearest home theater setup (friend, Best Buy, or IMAX theater?)
with an internet feed. This way you would be sure do the subject matter proper justice.
FWIW, the maker of the video did a better than average job recording it.

Definitely Call of the Wild material -- go get an earful asap! :)
I found it on my sillyfone. Yeah,not the next best thing to being there but still music to the ears.
I'm almost wishing that idea had not popped in to my head,,,,,,,,,,,almost!
Anybody want to buy a badass 355?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your comment about dropping a Detroit Diesel into your truck reminded me of this video:
Check out how much body lift he has on that thing to keep that Detroit under the hood. If I remember right, the hydraulic test stands we used on our jets have 6V53s. Big motors, and I wouldn't want one.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out how much body lift he has on that thing to keep that Detroit under the hood. If I remember right, the hydraulic test stands we used on our jets have 6V53s. Big motors, and I wouldn't want one.
You wouldn't want a big motor? Are you feeling OK man?
They are heavy,definitely gonna need some stout springs in the front.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too big without real performance. Sure, you'll be able to tow a mountain at 10 mph, but I'm a hot rod guy. I'd rather have a 4BT than a 6V53.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too big without real performance. Sure, you'll be able to tow a mountain at 10 mph, but I'm a hot rod guy. I'd rather have a 4BT than a 6V53.
Have you looked up the HP and TQ specs of the V653? With the right gearing I can run that thing at 1200 RPMS at 80 MPH. The HP is not that impressive but the torque for an engine with that displacement is phenomenal. I could get in there and work the blower a little and your "hot rod" may have a hard time keeping up.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have it spot on but for the valves. Invariably split-single engines (ignore the Scuderi split-single - it's a different animal) are piston ported and as such have the benefits of opposed piston engines namely a large spacing between inlet and exhaust ports (to minimise charge loss) and, the full circumference of each cylinder for said ports - unlike loopers and cross-flows which have to share the circumference. They (split-singles) can also, like OPs, be configured with asymmetric port timings and - I think - with less torsional vibration issues than OPs. Both (OP and SS) permit long strokes (good for 2T) but without the colossal piston speed of a single piston - and the difficulty of con-rod clearance at the cylinder's base.
Pic below shows two arrangements. Many more are possible.

You must be registered for see images attach
THANK YOU for that.

Puts a whole different spin on my mental image.

I don't know why my thinking of Twingles had them as four-strokes.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be the meds. I'm shopping for a 6V53T right now. That's the aluminum version. I've got a 79 C8000 with a 3208 in it and a Allison 5spd. The Cat motor is pretty tired but there ain't nothing wrong with the tranny. I think the Rockwell rear may be a little too much though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I owned a 6V53 for about 3 weeks 10+ years ago. There are times I wish I still had it. I sold it because it was in a truck that was just too big to be practical, for me. It was in a heavy duty International, with air brakes.

Scooterwrench, not all the turbos were aluminum. The aluminum engines are kinda rare, I believe.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned a 6V53 for about 3 weeks 10+ years ago. There are times I wish I still had it. I sold it because it was in a truck that was just too big to be practical, for me. It was in a heavy duty International, with air brakes.

Scooterwrench, not all the turbos were aluminum. The aluminum engines are kinda rare, I believe.
I'm still researching but I think it's the twin turbo 400hp that are the rare ones. A 250hp would push ol Smoky down the road pretty good. The 300hp are 666 on the torque. That ain't nothing to scoff at.