1992 7.4 Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it would be far-fetched to actually get one of these to work in a truck,
nevertheless I wanted to share the following -- the big brother V12 version really
sings a snappy song:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

We are so used to today's high output/low rpm diesels that it's easy to think that
they can only work in that mode. And I realize that a 2-stroke sounds like a 4-stroke
revving twice as fast. And that a V12 sounds the same as a V8 with it's crank spinning
50% faster. So the rpm at the crank doesn't really match the promise of the sound track.

Nevertheless, the sound track is cool & unique. And it's throttle response is impressive. And finally,
it's 100% mechanical. No spark ignition, no computer, no closed loop, no electrical. (Even more
so with the compressed air starter. :0)

Fun thread!

PS: I always liked the poppers on top of the exhaust on the old trucks, ever since I was a kid...
You're a tease man,
You know my laptop speakers don't work,I'll find it on my sillyphone!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking(scary huh) about that Mazda motor. What if you took an already designed 4 stroker,say an LS and had a special cam ground and ran it 1:1 off the crank. Add direct injection timed to spray a few degrees after the intake valve closed and stuck a blower on the intake manifold.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're a tease man,
You know my laptop speakers don't work,I'll find it on my sillyphone!
Scooterwrench,

That V12 sounds as good as Hendrix did on New Year's Eve with the Band of Gypsies -- it a must hear thing!

I have walked in your shoes...had so many projects all demanding my time & attention that I didn't
have anything decent worth listening to in my workspace. Life immediately became muy bueno once I fixed my
own self-imposed musical desert. :0)

FWIW, here's a no-audio recovery plan, from mild to much better:

1) Assuming that you have a physical issue instead of a driver issue with your laptop, spend
$20 on a pair of price/performance Philips headphones like these: (Philips cans)

1a) Got a driver issue and the headphone jack also doesn't work on your laptop? NO problem, take
the headphones down to the local library, and use one of their computers to get you hooked up.

2) Give your workspace the Sound of Music:

Have your laptop or phone Bluetooth to > Bluetooth to RCA converter > Marantz 2230 > pair of vintage yet still affordable Hi-Fi speakers.

Having no sound, or worse, some cheap shrill AM/FM/notooth radio wearing down your will to live is no ticket to paradise.
The Marantz I mentioned isn't all that powerful, but with a pair of high-efficiency old school speakers the
Allman Brothers Live (or that V12 Detroit Diesel) will still sound way better than what 99% of folks listen to these daze.

It's not about the electrical watts, it's the clean SPLs that you can generate.

Of course there are shortcuts, like an internet-connected intelligent TV feeding into a sound bar, or even an old higher end car audio that's been
retired from mobile use but still sounds good. But for me there's no way I would have made it through 1/10 of the
cleaning/scraping/blasting/prepping/etc that this hobby requires without decent tunes in the workspace. I've read your
replies elsewhere, so I know you have the knack to pull this off. Make it so...so you can listen to that V12 properly. :0)

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
pair of vintage yet still affordable Hi-Fi speakers.

I was very happy to open that link and immediately see a very nice picture of a Klipsch Heresy one in raw birch. :)

My dad has owned a pair since before I was born. I have a set as my main speakers now too, they're absolutely awesome. All original drivers in both sets (from 1977 and 1985 respectively), we've never had any problems with them. We replaced the crossovers with new units from Crites mainly as preventative maintenance but I still have the originals and intend to re-cap them someday.

You're very correct in that they don't need much power to get loud, but they'll take it if you want and get really loud! I'm currently running mine off of a QSC GX5 pro audio amp. They only ever see around 120W of the 500W per channel that amp is capable of providing with where I have the gains set, but I've had the pre-amp volume up pretty close to the max a few times and I haven't blown anything up (knock on wood). :lol:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very happy to open that link and immediately see a very nice picture of a Klipsch Heresy one in raw birch. :)

My dad has owned a pair since before I was born. I have a set as my main speakers now too, they're absolutely awesome. All original drivers in both sets (from 1977 and 1985 respectively), we've never had any problems with them. We replaced the crossovers with new units from Crites mainly as preventative maintenance but I still have the originals and intend to re-cap them someday.

You're very correct in that they don't need much power to get loud, but they'll take it if you want and get really loud! I'm currently running mine off of a QSC GX5 pro audio amp. They only ever see around 120W of the 500W per channel that amp is capable of providing with where I have the gains set, but I've had the pre-amp volume up pretty close to the max a few times and I haven't blown anything up (knock on wood). :lol:
We had this exact setup many years ago for live performances. Built like tanks too.
You must be registered for see images attach

The A7 weighs 135 LBS per side and is large, with a height of 56″, a width of 30″, and a depth of 24″. Its nominal efficiency is 97dB.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had this exact setup many years ago for live performances. Built like tanks too.

The A7 weighs 135 LBS per side and is large, with a height of 56″, a width of 30″, and a depth of 24″. Its nominal efficiency is 97dB.

A pair of those in the workshop (up out of the way/playing down to you from a safe space) would certainly deliver on the promise.

I'd be sorely tempted to make a decent facsimile of the emblem, changing it ever so slightly to: "The Voice of the Garage Mahal".

Young man: "Dad, why does our old neighbor live in his garage?"

Dad: "Because he can, son."

:)

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A pair of those in the workshop (up out of the way/playing down to you from a safe space) would certainly deliver on the promise.

I'd be sorely tempted to make a decent facsimile of the emblem, changing it ever so slightly to: "The Voice of the Garage Mahal".

Young man: "Dad, why does our old neighbor live in his garage?"

Dad: "Because he can, son."

:)
Those could handle my bass directly through the mixing board, although I rarely ever did that having an Ampeg SVT 300 Watt bass amp.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those could handle my bass directly through the mixing board, although I rarely ever did that having an Ampeg SVT 300 Watt bass amp.

Sir, I certainly hope that you keep those properly exercised/aired out. (I'm the world's biggest wanna-be bass player.
Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Pino Palladino, John Entwhistle, John Paul Jones, Laurie Anderson,
James Dewar, Tal Wilkenfeld, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Alain Caron, the list goes on...they are all my musical heros. :0)

With tunes like this played cleanly in the background I can cheerfully grunt through the mind-numbing
minutia for hours on end... Sometimes you gotta cheat to win.

You know, it's probably a good thing that we are all spread across the country.

Imagine if we were all neighbors? Trucks, live music, project parties?

The mind boggles...

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Sir I do. :patriot:

68 Fender Telecaster, many others too.
This one just oozes 60’s Fender vibe huh?
I had a pre CBS Strat for a few years. A friends son was learning to play and had a pretty good set of pipes too. I let him talk me right out of it.
Him and a few of his friends put a band together and started doing bars and weddings and such playing 60's-80's rock. If you had your eyes closed you'd swear you were listening to Billy Gibbons. I never felt bad about selling him that guitar,he made it sound better than I ever could have.