1990 Short base 4WD cab mount bushings replacement - help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zilverado71

Reaction score
Hey guys I got my 3" body lift in the mail today. Even though I'm so excited, I can't install it yet because of the condition of my cab mounts. In this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=314105 link, the picture demonstrated the part that has rusted through. After much research, I discovered that I cannot replace the part. I have to actually repair it. This, I guess I can do in my garage, even though I don't want to. Has anyone ever ran into this problem or fixed this problem before? My door doesn't close very well anymore, I really need to fix this right now. Wondering if anyone knows the best way to go about this repair. Also if anyone know where I can find replacement body mount bushings in stock in the Detroit, MI area. Thanks.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the hole is just rusted out a little but the mount is still solid then just weld on a plate on top of the mount with proper sized hole for the bushing. Fairly common problem and simple fix if caught soon enough. I've done that to all the mounts of my 92.

zilverado71

Reaction score
If the hole is just rusted out a little but the mount is still solid then just weld on a plate on top of the mount with proper sized hole for the bushing. Fairly common problem and simple fix if caught soon enough. I've done that to all the mounts of my 92.

I understand what your saying. My mount has PASSED THROUGH the steel. I can bench press my cabin 1.5 inches..

I don't have too much money, so I may just go to home depot and buy some steel, weld that in and call it done.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as there is still some decent metal to weld to and the the mount is still sturdy the plate will be the easiest fix. Pick up some extra steel to cut out larger plates for the top of the bodylift pucks. That will keep the pucks from going through the floor of the cab.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i found .125 thick washers with the correct i.d. for the bushing at fastenall. the o.d. was perfect size also. i welded one on top and one on bottom, worked great.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Yeah, thats a simple fix like he said above. I would just get a thick peice of sheet metall and weld it to the top of your bracket. Mine has been done also by the previous owner. I just took the cab off this year and the mount is still good as new after about 5-6 years of it being done!

zilverado71

Reaction score
As long as there is still some decent metal to weld to and the the mount is still sturdy the plate will be the easiest fix. Pick up some extra steel to cut out larger plates for the top of the bodylift pucks. That will keep the pucks from going through the floor of the cab.

Noted, thank you. Great advice everyone. I'll be starting on this today. Do you think I have to take the cab completely off the truck?? Or can I just lift it up?

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just lift it. You will have the room. Your going to need to loosen all the other bolts on that side though so it wil come up high enough. I lifted the cab up, took 3/16" plate, cut it out to fit the bracket the body mount sits on and cut a hole in it the size the bushing is.. Then welded it to the bracket and I also welded one to the floor on the cab and just drilled a hole through that one. But that made a huge difference. My body lift blocks had pushed through the floor and the body mount brackets were rotted like yours. After welding in the plate, its been great since.