1990 RCSB, T56 & 14 bolt (the way GM should have built a 1/2 ton)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it was a hot SOB all day today. It's 9'oclock now in Oklahoma and it's still 99 degrees outside. I did make lots of progress today tho. All I lack (as far as I can tell) is the proper ujoint and, I need to bleed the brakes. Getting closer.....

Time to drink some beer.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
80w-90 if you use RTV on the cover, if you get a cover gasket, synthetic 75w-90. At least according to GM.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad you got it put together Chase. You're right, that heat is brutal. My driveway faces due east and sees DIRECT sun from sunup until ~3pm. Makes working in the driveway ******* impossible during July and August.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did use RTV on the cover and about the only weight gear oil I could find around here (for some unknown reason) is 90-145 so that's what I used. I'll be changing it out in 500 miles after break in so I'll probably switch to some thinner gear oil then.

I bet you could fry an egg on your driveway in the heat of the day! It's been rainy here lately, so now it's hot and humid lol. greeaaat.

I still haven't gone for a test drive yet b/c I was also in the process of swapping hoods and some rain got in the engine compartment so I'll probably have to wait a day or so for it to dry out. I'm ready to rip some gears!

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If they're new gears, or even carrier for that matter, you need to follow the break in period per the manufacturer's specs.

Also, I'd take the guy who setup the gears for a ride. It's plausible the backlash is set incorrectly.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I'm so doing this swap one day, I can't find any good looking 5 lug rims these days, but there is an abundance of 6 lug rims, and I like the bigger 16" rims.

Whining? What kind of tires are on the back? ie. street tires, all terrains, mudders?