1988 Sierra 1500 - Door Open Switch is Shorting the Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mugizoro

Reaction score
I have a 1988 sierra and when the door is open the electronics/radio/turn-signals/etc works. But when you close the door, or press the drivers side door open switch with your hand. The entire truck shorts out and all electronics just freeze or stop working!

Any ideas?!

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the switch out and disconnect it. If the problem is gone, its the switch. Sounds like an internal short in the switch. Always start with the simple things first.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If so, why is it affecting other circuits? A short overloads that circuit causing the fuse to burn or c/b to open.
When " everything dies " what happens or what do you do to recover everything?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the switch out and disconnect it. If the problem is gone, its the switch. Sounds like an internal short in the switch. Always start with the simple things first.
The door switches provide a ground for the interior light circuit. If the switch shorts, it will merely keep the interior lights on. I'd suspect another wire under the dash flexing and shorting when the door closes.

By all means, disconnect the switch and see if the problem goes away, but I'm 99.9% sure it won't fix your problem. Start inspecting the wiring harness for a rubbed wire.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have " close the door " and " drivers side door open switch " . There is no door open or closed indictor light.
The action ": closing the door or pushing on switch" . What switch are you calling the driver's door open switch. Drivers door unlock switch? Or the interior light switch in the door jam?