10K possible with a 4.3 and NV3500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 8.1 in the suburban is a good setup,
I agree.
At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I like the '01>'06 Subs, and have been looking at them,, and I want an 8.1 in it.
The weak link is the trans, even with the 4L85E the computer de-rates the HP and Torque from what the trucks have by a bit.
The Sub that GM should have built:
With just a bit of work to the trans tunnel, and a 2in. body lift, you can put an Allison in a Sub, just like the truck set-up.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree.
At the risk of sounding like a heretic, I like the '01>'06 Subs, and have been looking at them,, and I want an 8.1 in it.
The weak link is the trans, even with the 4L85E the computer de-rates the HP and Torque from what the trucks have by a bit.
The Sub that GM should have built:
With just a bit of work to the trans tunnel, and a 2in. body lift, you can put an Allison in a Sub, just like the truck set-up.

I was going to add to my previous posts: I also bought a 8.1/Allison 2wd to swap into my 5.7 '00 K3500 CCLB SRW! I'm only going to swap in the 8.1. Allison swap would be cool, but not worth it in my case, without modification's. I'll probably sell the Allison. It's a 5 speed from '04 model.

Got it pretty cheap. I
was as actually

looking for a little 5.3 for my '99 GMT 800 Silverado with 4.3 going out, then came across the big block for cheap.

So the 5.7 from GMT 400 is going into the GMT 800. As a bonus, it's also getting a 4L80e, LOL.

My brother keeps telling me to swap the 8.1 into my suburban and the LQ4 from suburban into K3500. Again I think the 8.1 is too much of an engine for suburban ( or avalanche for that matter) IF you are towing. I think it belongs in a truck. More specifically, a long wheelbase truck! It's a big block meant for towing/hauling.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to add to my previous posts: I also bought a 8.1/Allison 2wd to swap into my 5.7 '00 K3500 CCLB SRW! I'm only going to swap in the 8.1. Allison swap would be cool, but not worth it in my case, without modification's. I'll probably sell the Allison. It's a 5 speed from '04 model.

Got it pretty cheap. I
was as actually

looking for a little 5.3 for my '99 GMT 800 Silverado with 4.3 going out, then came across the big block for cheap.

So the 5.7 from GMT 400 is going into the GMT 800. As a bonus, it's also getting a 4L80e, LOL.

My brother keeps telling me to swap the 8.1 into my suburban and the LQ4 from suburban into K3500. Again I think the 8.1 is too much of an engine for suburban ( or avalanche for that matter) IF you are towing. I think it belongs in a truck.

To each their own I guess. I have a 425hp marine cammed 8.1 in my 99 Tahoe. With headers it makes about 450 hp and 550 tq. While I limit towing to GMs weight recomendation the Tahoe pulls that weight like its not even there. Even with 7K behind it, pin it to the floor and it is GONE! 4L80E trans with a stock sized B82 converter built for towing that stalls about 2,500 rpm, 9.5" 14-bolt with 3.42s and P305/50R20s. It runs about 1,800 rpm @ 70 mph and even towing a car on a flat deck trailer holds overdrive on hills and on flat roads it will still run in lean cruise with a trailer. The big block pulls as hard at 1,800 rpm with 3.42s as my 383 pulls at 3,000 with its 5.13 gears. That being said the 383 in my Express will run away from the 8.1L when the throttle is pinned to the floor as it has 50 hp more and a lower rear gear.

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome! You are are a racer. I'm more of a stock guy...for now!

I should have added, otherwise a 8.1 makes for a FUN driver!

To each their own I guess. I have a 425hp marine cammed 8.1 in my 99 Tahoe. With headers it makes about 450 hp and 550 tq. While I limit towing to GMs weight recomendation the Tahoe pulls that weight like its not even there. Even with 7K behind it, pin it to the floor and it is GONE! 4L80E trans with a stock sized B82 converter built for towing that stalls about 2,500 rpm, 9.5" 14-bolt with 3.42s and P305/50R20s. It runs about 1,800 rpm @ 70 mph and even towing a car on a flat deck trailer holds overdrive on hills and on flat roads it will still run in lean cruise with a trailer. The big block pulls as hard at 1,800 rpm with 3.42s as my 383 pulls at 3,000 with its 5.13 gears. That being said the 383 will run away from the 8.1L when the throttle is pinned to the floor as it has 50 hp more and a lower rear gear.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
W
A mini excavator and bobcat come in different weight classes. Do you know how much yours weight? All joking aside from this thread, my real problem is how much real estate is between the hitch and my front axle on the trailer. I've got nearly 7ft, so got to balance tongue weight carefully.

How many miles on the engine and were you the original owner? With my engine and trans being freshly rebuilt, I won't be towing anything for the first few thousand miles.

Was about 150k on it, 3" lift, 33s and no I wasn't original owner but my step dad was OG owner and he never pulled anything but his boston whaler 14' boat with it. And idk what size the bobcat was, was a typical mid sized as far as I know. Same one we used on all jobsites, and mini excavator was smaller but tracked with a blade on the front . Long story short, was waaay to much weight for a 1/2 ton. It was usually pulled with a 3/4 gasser and that u KNEW the trailer was back there and loaded.

Hoosierlong90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is since your putting all this money into it (rebuild motor and trans and upgrading everything), why not just buy a 3/4 or full ton truck....I'm sure you have your reasoning :)

I'm sure with the 4.10s it will pull it but I would make sure to plan your stops and add a trailer brake. I'm guessing you dont plan to pull 10k all the time and your just wondering if it will. Yes it will.

I'd honestly add disk brakes on the back, upgrade the front calipers, beef up the frame with a couple more cross members and supports, add helper bags (a must!), brake controller for the trailer. Depending on where you live, put money aside for overloaded tickets. And a trans cooler.

I would hate the feeling that everytime I tow heavy I question it, and when I stop I pucker up lol.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't put it out there before, but in addition to the frame differences mentioned the 2500/3500 frames are taller in height by about 1.5 inches or so along their length which along with the thicker materials is a substantially stiffer frame. A little bit of cross bracing is not going to get you to the same level. There is just not that much going on where the trailer hitch bolts to a 1500 frame to be pushing it way past it's limits even with a w/d hitch.

Tim W

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldnt do it. You dont have to be "at fault" for there to be some criminal action taken against you. Im a police sergeant and have been in Law enforcement for 15 years.

I cant tell you how many times someone was sitting a red light just their own and boom, hit from behind. The "at fault" person was not paying attention but guess what... the person sitting at the light was drunk. The at party got a citation and maybe their car towed but the person sitting at the light went to jail. The drunk had no control over him or her getting rear ended. The drunk was doing anything wrong sitting at a light waiting for it to turn green (other than being drunk behind the wheel), but went to jail.

So you can have your dash cams ect but that not going to help you if something happens beyond your control and your way over loaded.

All we are tryin to say is its not the best of ideas and it will be best if you get the right truck for the right job.

Good luck

Oldguy

Reaction score
If the OP hasn't gotten it by now with all the comments advising him of the poor intentions he has he never will. Stop already!

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldnt do it. You dont have to be "at fault" for there to be some criminal action taken against you. Im a police sergeant and have been in Law enforcement for 15 years.

I cant tell you how many times someone was sitting a red light just their own and boom, hit from behind. The "at fault" person was not paying attention but guess what... the person sitting at the light was drunk. The at party got a citation and maybe their car towed but the person sitting at the light went to jail. The drunk had no control over him or her getting rear ended. The drunk was doing anything wrong sitting at a light waiting for it to turn green (other than being drunk behind the wheel), but went to jail.

So you can have your dash cams ect but that not going to help you if something happens beyond your control and your way over loaded.

All we are tryin to say is its not the best of ideas and it will be best if you get the right truck for the right job.

Good luck
Yep, if there is an injury he's going to own it. It's not going to matter what modifications he cobbled together in his driveway or who's fault it was that created the situation. Have one at the shop now, a rollover that caught fire. From gov't officials to lawyers there have been quite a few out to look at it. It involved a fatality. Usually these vehicles end up at a HP impound yard but for whatever reason this one is here.

It can go from bad to terrible in a hurry.