How Much Can YOU Haul IN 1/2 Ton???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
We used to pull a 28' trailer with ours, I think it was 4500lbs dry/unloaded. We used to pull that trailer with an Astro van, I wish I could find some pictures of that, it did pretty well, and the short tow vehicle wheelbase made it really easy to get in some tight places.

As far as truck itself, we've folded the seats flat and loaded that area up with firewood, bags of concrete mix, paint.....etc. It squats pretty good sometimes, I'm thinking about getting an AAL, especially since I think the rear rides a little lower than the front, and I would like just a small amount of rake.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had 2200 pounds of rock in the back of mine today. I've had over 3,000 before. Doesn't sag a bit, but I do have air bags on the back. It was my first load without my Bridgestore Revo's. It was a sqwishy ride.
I'm sure the frame of my dump bed adds a couple hundre pouns as well.

I had a 197? 1 ton 4 door International pickup on a trailer behind it 1x. only had to pull it a few miles, but I thought my truck was going to split in half. That thing was heavy. Had to winch it onto the trailer with a locked up front wheel!

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have towed a 7800 pound bob cat with a 2800lb double axle trailer in my 97 1500 heavy half

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i've had my 3/4 m101a2 trailer loaded with scrap steel that came in at just under 10k. but i just pulled that about a mile. i didn't go over 5MPH but the tank did it. on a regular basis, i've pulled 5-8k 10 miles or so. i think if you have a good trailer, loaded right, the truck is only limited to the gear ratio and distance youre pulling the load. and...... you REALLY need to know what you're doing when pulling that sort of load. i'll see if i can get pics up soon. i've got to pick up a few K's of stone soon.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Awhile back i pulled a 100~lb trailer with a roughly 1000lb golf cart on it with my '92, and it seriously drove like i wasn't pulling a thing. Although, i once pulled a 20ft trailer with a china cabinet, a big-ass chair, a full size couch, an enormous computer desk, a shelf, and a ton of boxes from when my grandma was moving. Felt a little bogged down but she still handled it like a champ. I'd guess it was about 2000lbs, maybe over.

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
Man, look at that frame flex! The 1/2ton frames are too flexible IMO, my 88 did the same thing with a load like that. That is why I picked up the 99 3/4ton.[/QUOTE
Wish I had picture of my 97 1500 ECLB 2wD at its worst, that thing is so long with such a light frame that the center was sagged down at least two inches unloaded and reversed the other way when towing. After using it as a work truck in the fields I started to notice it was flexing to the point of stress cracking chassis mounts (without even being loaded). Really wonder why such a truck was built to be honest it had no traction whatsoever.

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
A few years back when I was still driving my W/T 1500 I had to make a 55 bale hay delivery with it while the main truck was in the shop. After doing the math I now figure that I had about 2800 pounds on the truck. Needless to say the V6, clutch and rear suspension were not happy by the end of that 25 mile trip to the horse farm.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The heaviest load I've hauled is 500-600 pounds of aluminum. The heaviest load I've pulled is my CJ8 on a 16 foot utility trailer. I have a TBI V6 and had to go up a few hills. Lots of fun there.

My dad's cousin has a truck similar to mine but it's a few years older and has a 350. I don't know how that truck hasn't had a broke frame yet. I've seen it haul 15 squares of shingles in the bed and the hitch was almost touching the ground. He drove about an hour like that. He eventually doubled the springs up, has a massive amount of rake now. Last week we loaded it with 12 squares of shingles and it still sat about an inch higher than my truck.

cat-chevymech

Reaction score
I have 2500 ld springs and air shocks and ive hauled 2000 + lbs and have had no problems i run 265 75 16 at and i run 33 10.5 15 swampers the swamper are my play tires but i hauled 13k behind the truck when my friends burb broke down. And had minamal problems if i was you id upgrade brakes and be careful with a slidein camper those things are dangerous in srw trucks