Young guy replacing an engine for the first time; any advice or recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well, unfortunately my old 350 TBI motor bit the dust today. It started knocking really badly while driving today and I don't want to risk it dying on me considering I drive pretty long distances regularly.

I want to replace it with another 350 TBI engine; nothing too crazy, and I'm ok with factory HP and torque numbers. This is my daily driver than I occasionally use to pull small trailers and drive on a farm with. However, this will be my first time ever pulling an engine out of a vehicle and I want to make sure I do this right.

I found this crate motor on JEGS: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/059/8758/10002/-1

I know it's a re-manufactured engine and I don't expect it to be perfect, but I just need something that'll get me where I need to be reliably. Does anyone have experience with this motor?

Since I'm going to be pulling a bunch of stuff anyway, I also kind of want to switch to an electric fan setup. I plan on rebuilding the TBI unit since I'll be pulling it off anyway. I guess I'm basically here asking for any advice you guys have on pulling one of these engines and replacing it. Since I'm a young guy, I'm looking for all the help I can get and all of it is appreciated.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've don't have any experience with that engine, I've had good experience with GM Goodwrench long blocks though. Take lots on pictures, label baggies and put all your hardware in them. After you pull the engine, pressure wash everything (within reason) in the engine compartment. Clean and paint everything going back in the truck. Get a high quality gasket set like Felpro. Make sure you break it in properly especially with a flat tappet cam!