Engine Replacement Tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Since Big O Tires cracked my engine where the starter mounts, I'm having to replace the block. I'm having to do this in a time crunch and I've never swapped an engine before. I've put on a lift kit, swapped out a transfer case, and a bunch of other repairs, but I never have changed an engine out. I have a week to do this.

My truck is a 1998 Chevrolet K3500 with the 5.7 and 4L80e. What are some tips for removing my engine?

Also, what specific or funky tools might I need?

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, if a shop broke it why aren't they paying for the repair?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Because they're a piece of **** and won't touch it. I tried fighting them, they just won't fix it. Never go to Big O Tires in Basalt, Colorado.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep all records of actual costs, labor, and lost wages, take them to small claims court and contact Better Business Bureau.
Wouldn't hurt to contact a lawyer a well if you have the capital. Sounds like you have a case. Sorry to distract from the purpose of your post.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As above, I don't see this as "your" problem. This is "their" problem. They pay for repairs, AND buy you a rental truck while yours is tied-up. Colorado is a liberal hell-hole. They've almost certainly got an aggressive Attorney General "consumer hotline" that's more than willing to help--for free. Could easily be that the local media also has a consumer help department that reports on business malfeasance, and that would be "free", too. Do not forget that the shop has insurance to cover their liability.

What EXACTLY are you replacing? You said the "block", but I bet this is going to end up as a complete engine, long-block, or short-block. What you're putting in makes a difference in how you're going to attack this, and the tools needed.

1. Take pictures as you work.
2. Label all harnesses and vacuum connections. Label brackets. Buy a Sharpie and some masking tape to make labels with.
3. Buy half-gallon and quart sized zip-lock bags to keep hardware separate; and LABEL THE BAGS with a Sharpie
4. "Good luck" finding decent motor mount cushions. I re-used my 300,000 mile rubber mounts because the aftermarket mounts are horse-**** thin steel housings, and the Polyurethane inserts are the wrong shape--too large, the steel inserts are positioned at the wrong angle.
5. Drain the coolant using the radiator draincock AND BOTH BLOCK DRAINS. One side will be the knock sensor, the other side should be an iron plug. I replace the iron plug with a brass plug, or with a brass draincock.
6. Bolt a chain from the front of one cylinder head to the rear of the other head. Leave enough slack so you can put a long bolt, washers, and nut through the chain at the hook for your hoist. That way the hook can't slide down the chain if the engine becomes unbalanced. MARK THE LINKS so that the chain can be reattached the same way to the replacement engine. You want the engine to go "in" at the same angle it came "out".
7. Everything "rubber" is suspect. Fan belt(s), engine mounts, radiator and coolant hoses, etc. Inspect carefully.
8. Good time to assure that the radiator is in good condition, along with all the accessories--alternator, PS, AC, water pump, starter motor, air pump, etc.
9. Examine the flywheel/flexplate. Replace as needed. Beware the balance of aftermarket flexplates. Sometimes the offset weight is visibly too small or too large.
10. If you want headers, now's the time.
11. Route the spark plug wires EXACTLY according to service-manual routing procedure. Use whatever clips 'n' holders are required to keep the plug wires EXACTLY as specified.
12. Don't forget about the O-rings on whatever fuel system components you disassemble. Good time to replace the fuel filter, too.
13. When the engine is out, you'll have a clear shot at power-washing the chassis and firewall. Don't screw up any of your markings on the wire harness or fuel connections.
14. Use Loctite/Permatex "PST" (Loctite #592 is the easiest to find) on all pipe-thread connections. DO NOT use "Teflon tape" on fuel or oil system threads. Tape on cooling system threads is bad enough.
15. DO NOT use RTV Silicone on a gasket, except where a gasket and a seal join at a seam. RTV Siicone is for replacing gaskets, not coating gaskets. For the record, Permatex "The Right Stuff" is five times the product that RTV Silicone is. But you still do not coat a gasket with it, except for a "dot" at the seam between a gasket and a rubber seal.
16. There's a dozen different kinds of "gasket sealer". ANY of them is better than RTV Silicone. Gasgacinch, High Tack, Copper Coat, Permatex #1, #2, or #3, Indian Head Shellac...the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vortec engine swaps are a lot more complicated than they should be. It takes about twice as long as a TBI. You're in for a long week.

I use a leveller and it's handy, but I have to remove the hood and the front wheels and lower the truck onto short jackstands. Much less janky than a single chain. Pull the distributor so you don't stetch a hoist chain across it.

The harness has a ground that bolts to the front passenger side of the motor. Make note of it when you remove it. If you don't bolt it back down, your truck won't start. I hunted for that for two days before I found a tip on another site.

Pay attention to how the engine mounts and transmission supports go together. Take a picture. Getting 99% done and then discovering that you left a plate out of the engine mount sucks.

Take the opportunity to replace your upper intake manifold gasket and injection spider if you haven't already done it.

Don't forget to reward yourself with a good beer if you have a productive day. Just don't overdo it if you need to hit it hard again the next day.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
How exactly did a tire shop break the starter mounting on the block? That's a little ways from the wheels. Sounds like gross negligence was involved!

DavidAlan

Reaction score
I question for Erik,I been building engines for over 40 plus years,the mounts are not hard to find,what I find funny is so many say what you said about the mounts,ask yourself this,where do you think the GM gets there mounts?
have a place called Summit Racing has a engine for him or many places who have them as well, https://www.summitracing.com/search...=part-type&SortBy=default&SortOrder=Ascending

aslo you can look at Jegs as well as Rock Auto,also for mounts I use these guys or OEM GM PARTS online, if never built a engine,better to have one made for you,easier and saves time,plus you will want all the updates that these engines have or needed.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vortec engine swaps are a lot more complicated than they should be. It takes about twice as long as a TBI. You're in for a long week.

I use a leveller and it's handy, but I have to remove the hood and the front wheels and lower the truck onto short jackstands. Much less janky than a single chain. Pull the distributor so you don't stetch a hoist chain across it.

The harness has a ground that bolts to the front passenger side of the motor. Make note of it when you remove it. If you don't bolt it back down, your truck won't start. I hunted for that for two days before I found a tip on another site.

Pay attention to how the engine mounts and transmission supports go together. Take a picture. Getting 99% done and then discovering that you left a plate out of the engine mount sucks.

Take the opportunity to replace your upper intake manifold gasket and injection spider if you haven't already done it.

Don't forget to reward yourself with a good beer if you have a productive day. Just don't overdo it if you need to hit it hard again the next day.

Do make sure to find the upgraded injectors, originally our trucks used poppet valves at the ends of the "spider" which were a bad design to begin with. The replacement part will have injectors at the ends with a wire leading to it- it's a direct bolt in upgrade that will make an incredible difference in the way your truck runs