xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everytime I see that vice, it makes me want one more or to quit following this. C clamps and wood work but a bench vice sure is handy.

I'll keep watching if you keep up the good progress.
Yeah, it's one of my best investments. Of course, you have to have a sturdy bench. I've used this vise so much.

The other thing that I consider a great investment is the floor press. I've also used that so much. Whatever tools that keep me away from a dealer or other shop are worth it!

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I do still have to mount the transmission fixture mount to the bench. I just need to buy a new step drill bit first.

You must be registered for see images attach

However, I couldn't wait any longer to work on the transmission rebuild --- at least the teardown. So, here we go. I tightened the chains. Made sure nothing would get broken during the removal. I think it's ready.

Once I get it out, I can use the transmission jack to remove the engine. But the engine is still supported by the mounts and a ratchet strap, so no rush to remove it.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for everyone. So, I have 6-ton jack stands under the truck. Two are under the rear axle, and two are under the frame rails towards the front, before the frame rails begin to curve upwards (one of the jack stands can be seen in the photo above).

I need to raise the truck about 6-12" so I can move the transmission out from underneath while its on the transmission floor jack. What do you think is the best point for jacking up the front of the truck with a floor jack? I thought about putting it under the crossmember in the front, but it does not look like it is a good jack point (not rigid enough?).

I don't really want to jack the driver's side and passenger's side up individually as it may cause the cab to flex (?), or worst case, the truck may come off the opposite jack stand. I have no idea. I'd rather jack from a middle point so that both sides are lifted equally, simultaneously.

I was wondering --- I have a 4x4 post for fencing. New, just standing in the garage. It's southern pine. If I place the 4x4 post under the front frame horizontally so that it is supporting both frame rails, and then I jack from the middle of the 4x4 post, do you think a 4x4 post can support the truck while it is being jacked?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've lifted by the cross member. Not ideal, but it works.
That’s the only place I lift mine from :oops: If I need it really high I lift it there, set on stands then use a 4x4 as a spacer between the Jack pad andcrossmember for extra lift

But I’ve also lifted several vehicles with 4x4 posts as mentioned.