xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It's an AAM driveshaft, but I think (not sure) that AAM [sometimes] or GM(?) used Spicer slip yokes and stub shafts on its driveshafts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, I thought it was a Dana/spicer since I saw that's who made that rubber piece earlier in the thread and the other sticker looked foreign to me. The only time I've seen AAM use Dana parts was for the first Jeep Rubicon. Maybe they did it for some of the GMT-400 stuff, too.... I only caught the tail end of the GMT-400 program.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my steering shaft. This is the part that connects to the firewall in between the steering wheel shaft and rack-and-pinion shaft.

Anyone ever opened up the joint?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever opened up the joint?
Not a gmt400 specifically, but the one I did take apart that looked similarly had a pin pressed into the end of the main shaft creating a T, the arms of the T had square-ish hardened “bearings” that slid in those protruding grooves.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks like these tabs should unfold and the cup slides off. I wouldn’t cut that band off (under your finger) until you can find a replacement lol

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a tear in the boot. Missed it before. Guess it's getting opened up. I'll have to see if I can find a replacement boot. Might be needle in a haystack.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I saw a tear in the boot. Missed it before. Guess it's getting opened up. I'll have to see if I can find a replacement boot. Might be needle in a haystack.

Chop chop, you have me wondering if that's what's tore up in my dually. Wasn't the joint inside the column and doesn't feel like the rag joint. This new candidate looks promising.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These metal tabs are thicc, too. And there's a metal ring right at the inner edge of the tab where it'd be your first instinct to pry at. So, looks like you have to pry from the side.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a 90* pick tool you could hammer in from the side to kinda wedge the tabs up enough to get something under them? I know a pick tool will snap if used a pry tool lol