XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
For 95+ trucks a 94-02 Dodge Ram lower steering shaft is supposedly a direct replacement for the Chevy lower shaft

You must be registered for see images attach

Anybody try this method yet? This looks like a better, easier and possibly cheaper solution than the flaming river u-joint I've done before. The dorman shaft is only $75 on RockAuto.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody try this method yet? This looks like a better, easier and possibly cheaper solution than the flaming river u-joint I've done before. The dorman shaft is only $75 on RockAuto.
Several guys swear by it in one of the truck groups on FB. No personal experience. It's on my list of things to try but I haven't gotten to it. There's a guy making complete new shafts with the Chevy top and Dodge lower around somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm desperate for new steering shaft in m 98 2 dr. Im going to look into this EVO you guys speak of. Hope it doesnt affect me using or making another shaft.

If anyone knows of a member here who is making shafts for the 95+ trucks then please let me know

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm desperate for new steering shaft in m 98 2 dr. Im going to look into this EVO you guys speak of. Hope it doesnt affect me using or making another shaft.

If anyone knows of a member here who is making shafts for the 95+ trucks then please let me know
Derek Michael in the GM OBS Crew Cab group on Facebook makes new steering shafts for 95+. I think he charges around $125 but I could be wrong.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Derek Michael in the GM OBS Crew Cab group on Facebook makes new steering shafts for 95+. I think he charges around $125 but I could be wrong.

no luck finding him. I think I will do the Borgeson shaft and modify it to fit my 98.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I assume my 98 Tahoe has this EVO. I never paid any attention to it. Truck steers just fine with 33s on it. Why do so many hate on it?

It has a tendency to go out, either the sensor on the column or the valve itself on the pump. I think that's why most people don't like it. I still have it intact on both of my '97s and don't mind it, but I have had to replace the column sensor multiple times on each truck.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has a tendency to go out, either the sensor on the column or the valve itself on the pump. I think that's why most people don't like it. I still have it intact on both of my '97s and don't mind it, but I have had to replace the column sensor multiple times on each truck.

What are the symptoms of it going out? The issue I experience once in a while is a slight drop in rpm when turning my wheels from a dead stop but then again, Im trying to turn 305 sized tires.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What are the symptoms of it going out? The issue I experience once in a while is a slight drop in rpm when turning my wheels from a dead stop but then again, Im trying to turn 305 sized tires.

Either intermittent or constant over-boosting of the power steering at speed. You'll really feel it on the highway. Feels like the wheel turns way too easily.