XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent half of today in the yard looking for a xj shaft. Found many of them, but not a one would break free. the center section would not collapse so I could remove it no matter what i did. I tried 8 different ones. Finally, I remembered reading earlier in this thread about the astro van shaft. That one came right off. I am just hoping that it bolts right on, as I have been reading today in a couple other forums that those ones need to be taken apart and re-indexed.

Ugh. I really need a XJ shaft...lol

Shawn

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I spent half of today in the yard looking for a xj shaft. Found many of them, but not a one would break free. the center section would not collapse so I could remove it no matter what i did. I tried 8 different ones. Finally, I remembered reading earlier in this thread about the astro van shaft. That one came right off. I am just hoping that it bolts right on, as I have been reading today in a couple other forums that those ones need to be taken apart and re-indexed.

Shawn

The center section of the xj shaft does not collapse and you have to melt the plastic inside in order to separate the shaft. I dropped the steering column to remove the shaft

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone with a 97-99 with the 3rd joint thought of just replacing the rag Joint with a urethane bushing as opposed to the rag Joint rubber that comes with a repair kit? Just saying, we replace all of out rubber suspension bushings with urethane, why not the rag joint also? I have a 98 so the xj mod won't work for me.....

92k1500chevy

Reaction score
where are you located?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

NW corner of Iowa.

Shawn

I unbolted the steering box to get them out. Just like our trucks pretty much, 3 bolts on the outside of the frame rail and with enough wiggling and prying you're able to get them off. Only one I had trouble with must have been a Cali model or something, had a huge charcoal canister right in the freakin' way.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hey guys, has anyone with a 97-99 with the 3rd joint thought of just replacing the rag Joint with a urethane bushing as opposed to the rag Joint rubber that comes with a repair kit? Just saying, we replace all of out rubber suspension bushings with urethane, why not the rag joint also? I have a 98 so the xj mod won't work for me.....

There's food for thought. Anyone in or around Michigan looking for one of these shafts? I can nab a few at the pick an pull when I go next.

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone know what shipping would be on an xj shaft?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need some help with this. I did this mod months ago and Im running into problems now. My steering has gotten very sloppy. I jacked the front up today to adjust the box but I wanted to check and see if one of the u joints were bad. I found where the slop is coming from. The 2 sections of the xj shaft is very sloppy. I can turn the steering wheel side a decent amount against the box side. Also there is up and down movement in the joint of the 2 sections. i was thinking of drilling it and putting a bolt through but I didn't know if that was a good idea or not.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The XJ shafts are in two pieces, held with that wax that has to be melted out, so that if you're ever in an accident, the shaft has the ability to collapse. If you intend to screw the 2 pieces of the shaft together, I would suggest an aluminum screw. That way, if the shaft ever needs to collapse, the Alu. screw will shear off, with enough force.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
The XJ shafts are in two pieces, held with that wax that has to be melted out, so that if you're ever in an accident, the shaft has the ability to collapse. If you intend to screw the 2 pieces of the shaft together, I would suggest an aluminum screw. That way, if the shaft ever needs to collapse, the Alu. screw will shear off, with enough force.

That is a really good point. Or just find a new shaft. A steering wheel to the face is never worth the cost of a new steering shaft or a cheap fix unless it is to get you bay for the trip to and from the yard for a new one.

Tyler/T-Unit