why is my pinion trying to make a new ring gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Well upon pulling my rear end apart i ve noticed that the pinion gear has decided to eat into the diff itself (where the spiders are and c clip over all casing) has anyone's truck had that issue? at first she started make a hellish noise, checked her out noticed about half inch of pinion play up and down . pulled it apart (expecting bearing to be grenaded ) they're fine visually and mechanically . thinking back pulling pinion nut off just to break it loose , i tapped the trigger on my 20 plus year old impact she spun right around . a total of 8 and 3/4 turns . my thinking is previous owner didnt tighten to spec or idk pics will be up tomorrow the 4th of january. does anyone know the torque setting of the pinion nut. dealer told me 490fl lbs.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
usually in order for the pinion to start eating into the carrier is because the pinion bearings are extremely bad. but the pinion nut has to crush a crush sleeve and be set to a preload. any where between 14-19 in lb is acceptable. ALWAYS use a NEW pinion nut and crush sleeve

Reaction score
well thats the plan as far as new bearing seal and nut. crazy thing is bearing are in great condition as well as the races. i honestly think who ever did the rear end last if at all they didnt tighten it up all the way . oh well.