Why is my belt routed like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got the 305 but I'm pretty sure the routing is the same. I think I'm going to grab a new belt while I'm at it and change it out since this one looks like it's been on there awhile.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea there is no difference in how the belt routes between the two engine sizes. A new belt never hurts. I would actually reroute that belt and keep the new belt in the truck as a spare. Might as well get all the miles you can out of it and you can have the new one in the truck just in case. Thats what I do.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I decided to tackle this today and I'm having a bear of a time getting this belt on. Even with the tensioner maxed out there's not enough slack to get the belt over the last pulley. I've tried to get it over the power steering pulley and then the alternator which seems like it would be the easiest pulley to slip it over since it's right up top and it's the smallest. No matter what I do I can not get enough slack to get it on there even when using a pry bar. Does anyone happen to know the correct belt length for a '91 305 with AC and without an air pump??

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got the belt on the correct way and now I've got a pulley squeal. Probably explains why the previous owner routed the belt like he did. Now i've got to narrow down which pulley it is. Man it never ends.

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the idler pulley that didn't have the belt since the squeal just started. Also the same idler squeals on mine from time to time I've really got to replace it

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did buy a new idler just in guess so I think that's what I'll replace next. Quick question does this look like the correct way the tensioner should be positioned

You must be registered for see images attach

it was on the other side before i routed the belt correctly and I just want to make sure that pulley for the tensioner is supposed to be positioned where it is. if that makes sense.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay cool. Hopefully when i replace the idler pulley the squealing goes away.