Why is my belt routed like this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is how the belt is routed on my 1991. It looks like the previous owner routed it like the truck didn't have A/C but i'm not quite sure if maybe they bought the wrong belt and said "F it" or if the had an ulterior motive. If you look closely you'll see it isn't even touching the pulley right underneath the ac compressor. I also notice when idling the truck that the belt seems to jump around more than normal. Should I buy the correct size belt and route it the correct way? My concern is that something happened and that's why the PO decided to buy a shorter belt and run it the way they did.

You must be registered for see images attach

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Should I buy the correct size belt and route it the correct way? My concern is that something happened and that's why the PO decided to buy a shorter belt and run it the way they did.

Honestly, that sounds like the best option to me. If something is broken on the truck, I would rather know what's wrong rather than just run a belt past it, even if it is an accessory I can live without. And like you said, the belt jumps around. Not good.

*Edit: Got my pulleys confused. :crazy: I don't know why they'd route it past that pulley though unless they just got too short of a belt. Is it too short to play with the tensioner and get it on there?

Last edited:

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in the picture it is routed on the a/c so im confused about the "a/c bypass". as for the idler pulley its not touching because its not on the proper side of the pulley. I bet if you route the belt correctly it will correct your problems, it just looks like whoever put the belt on put it on wrong.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. Well I guess it's better news that the previous owner didn't put the belt on correctly than they purposely ran it that way because something else is broken. Do I just loosen the tensioner reroute the belt and tighten it back down? I'm used to working on vehicles with auto tensioners. How do I know how tight to tighten the belt?

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
the auto tensioner is in the upper right of your picture. you can barely see it. the pulley the belt isnt touching is just an idler pulley if im right.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I agree it just look's like it is routed wrong, and it also look's like the tensioner is against it's stop, and not doing anything.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
What I did was just get a big 'ol socket wrench and put it on that center hex for the tensioner. I had my handle pointing straight up and pulled it towards the passenger side. It didn't loosen the nut, just pulled the tensioner towards the drivers side, then just move the belt accordingly. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay cool, so this gray pulley is an auto tensioner and I can just put a socket on it and turn it and it will release the tension? I love gm vehicles they are so much easier to work on than chrysler products.

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
yes thats the tensioner, put the wrench on the second nut/bolt, the one thats actually on the pulley and pull towards the pass side of truck to release tension

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea release the tension move the belt out of the way then slowly let the tensioner back into place. the belt looked like it was routed fine it jus didnt go on the idler pulley like it was supposed to. when the belt if routed proper jus move the tensioner back and put the belt under it when you release the tensioner it will tighten on the belt accordingly.